PlayStation 4 to be revealed February 2013?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Armadeadn, Feb 1, 2013.

1. Regarding the CPU, per thread it is estimated to be around 2.5x faster than Xenos (360 CPU), and it has two more threads. Xenos was a design based around high peak performance, much like cell. While it looks great on paper, in practise programmers could achieve around 0.2 instructions per clock. Existing AMD x86 processors like Bobcat (jaguars much slower predecessor) easily obtain an IPC of 1, with it still being possible to increase from there. So, with 33% more threads (8 vs 6), half the clock speed (3.2 vs 1.6) and 8x higher IPC per thread minimum, it should perform around 3x faster in practise than Xenos. It's also much easier to obtain this base level of performance whereas it was quite a struggle to work with Xenos and CELL.

2. Well the live chat in the gametrailers feed didn't seem overly impressed with the XBOX ONE show so we shall see how Sony fare.

I fully expect them to come out and fuck it up by announcing another $499 price and a similar used game policy but it doesn't start until 2AM so I wont know until the morning.

3. Seems to be all there for the taking so I'm sure Sony will fuck it up. The whole DRM shit concerns me; think I'll head back into PC gaming if they follow the same path.

4. Get Minecraft

5. eh, if you go back to pc gaming, you'll just be in the same boat. PC gaming is basically always on anyhow as we all use Steam (and/or Origin) for 95% of all pc games. You're probably going to have upgrade your PC at this point too if you haven't since the PS3 release which will put you over $500. it's all going to be lateral movements

6. At least Steam is fairly cheap - I thought you could also play offline too? My PC wireless connection constantly craps out but it's never stopped me playing FTL.

7. Yes, there is an offline mode in steam but the games do require a check in with the server too much like the xbone. The time in between is much more lax though.. something like once a month rather than once every 24hrs.

8. ...At last the final result:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

http://kotaku.com/this-is-what-the-playstation-4-looks-like-512437417?utm_campaign=Socialflow_Kotaku_Facebook&utm_source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

9. confirmed no internet required, no issues with used games, and $400 launch price. but it looks like you need to pay to play online now.. wasn't clear on that for me.

10. http://youtu.be/kWSIFh8ICaA
    http://youtu.be/kWSIFh8ICaA​

Good one.

The blurb at the bottom says "PS4 online multiplayer access requires PSN account and PS+ subscription"

11. The biggest negative is that you need to subscribe to PS+, but I've subscribed to that for years, and it's been worth it on free games alone. They have given away some excellent games through that service, including some of the best games on PS3 (Demon's Souls, inFamous 2, and LittleBigPlanet 2, for example). As long as they continue to give you decent stuff, it's still a good deal and doesn't impact me.

The price surprised me. I was expecting $499 minimum. Maybe they hope to make that up with the PS+ requirement.

I'm pleased they rejected the DRM check-in stuff. They could have just gone in the same direction considering there wasn't major pressure from the competition. But opting to not require that is certainly something that will score points with consumers.

12. A $100 cheaper, no DRM, no online requirement, but PS+ required for online? Hmmm.... I'm good.

[​IMG]

13. PS4 comes bundled with an HDMI cable and a headset for online play. M$ are not including a headset as they want you to use Kinect but that isn't going to be very convenient at 1am when your family is trying to sleep now is it?

I think Sony took advantage of M$'s mistakes and the internet this morning seems to be more in favour of Sony. I myself will be picking up a PS4 first but I think I will wait until after Xmas so I am not going to bother pre-ordering one at the moment.

14. How are you feeling about the PS+ subscription? Will you pay to play online with monsly on his internets?

Isn't it weird that both consoles have gone for the half glossy half matte look.

15. I think we should start a fund where people can donate so that Monsly can get off of his third world internet connection!

16. Pleasing the internet doesn't necessarily translate into business success. Hard to tell if Sony is just being aggressive with the pricing or is in desperation mode at the corporate level.

17. I think the price difference is the fact that X1 bundles the kinect which I don't expect would be cheap on it's own.

A lot of the people who use Live or PSN are the people who spend a lot of time online hanging around gaming sites so I do think M$ will have lost a chunk if these people claiming to have jumped ship are going to do as they say.

18. I can't see any advantage of xbone over PS4 for myself. It's pretty clear cut. Unless they sort out the DRM shit, I very much doubt I'll buy one.

19. And your sentiments are being repeated all over the internet, surely M$ have someone reading these gaming sites or are they just blindly going along with this because they are too big headed to realise they are wrong on this one?