Post your PC specs

Discussion in 'Technology' started by HellRipper, Jan 24, 2011.

1. As the topic says.

i7 920 stock
    Asus P6T-SE X58
    Nvidia Geforce GTX275 stock
    Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600mhz (2x3GB)
    XFi ExtremeGamer Fatality Pro 64MB
    2x 1TB WD Black
    Dell 3008 WFP UltraSharp 30'' 2560x1600
    HAF 922
    Sony Blu-Ray drive/burner
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64

2. AMD Phenom II X3 720 BE OCed @ 3.3GHz
    Gigabyte 790X AM2+ mobo
    4GB (2x2GB) G.Skill Pi DDR2-800
    Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB
    250GB WD Caviar Black HDD
    1TB WD Caviar Green HDD
    Auzentech Forte X-Fi
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64

3. Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.4ghz
    4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800
    Intel Bad Axe 2
    1GB GTX 460 OC
    1.5TB Seagate HDD
    Corsair TX650 V2
    Antec P180
    Windows 7 64-bit Ultimate

4. Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
    8GB Mushkin DDR2-800
    NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI
    Nvidia GTX285oc
    500GB WD HDD
    Windows 7x64 Ultimate

5. Intel i7 950
    ASUS Sabertooth X58
    6GB Geil Black Dragon DDR3 1333 Triple Channel
    AMD Radeon HD 5850
    PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750
    1TB Samsung
    1TB WD Caviar Black
    Samsung Blu-Ray
    Generic DVD
    Cooler Master Cosmos 1000
    Al2423W 24'' LCD
    Windows 7 Home Premium x64

H2O Loop: Laing DDC-1, Apogee GT, MCW60, Black Ice Pro II Rad

Fans: 5x 120mm Scythe with Sony S-Flex fluid bearings

6. 2 x 2.26 GHz Quad-Core Intel "Nehalem" Xeon
    14 GB 1066 Mhz DDR3
    ATI Radeon HD 4870 512 MB
    640 GB Serial ATA 7200 rpm
    2 x LaCie 500 GB external
    LaCie 1 TB external
    18x SuperDrive with double-layer support (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    Apple Cinema Display 21" 1680 x 1050
    Mac OS X Version 10.6.6 Snow Leopard

7. Can I just ask whats up with the external HDD's? I only ask because I know a couple of people with Mac Pro's who are exactly the same... they have like 3 external HDD's and work primarily off of them.

I tell them how easy it is to install a new internal HDD on Mac Pro's because of the hot swap bays, you just slide a drive in! It's literally easier than installing an external drive! They didn't realise it was that easy but still claim that external drives are better because they can just grab them and go if they need to transfer their data or in case of an emergency. I agree with this, but haven't they heard of a backup?

In the case of the people I know they both don't like to open up computers because they know nothing about them, and don't realise that external drives over USB2/firewire are slower than internal drives. They have a point with the emergency situation, but there are easy solitions for that and it still doesn't justify the first two points in my opinion.

Sorry if this seems like a rant and I'm not meaning to attack you in any way. I just know of 3 people now who do this and find it strange given how easy installing internal drives on Mac Pro's is. For two of those people I really think it's simply because they don't feel comfortable opening up their Mac/don't want to and don't realise external drives are slower. Is it just something about the mentality of Mac owners? That they think opening up the computer/tweaking/upgrading yourself is a PC thing? I know some I know don't even seem to realise that anyone with a bit of knowledge can upgrade a Mac, not just the guys at the Mac store.

Is there some other reason for you? I'd genuinely like to know if there is.

8. So your CPUs can handle 16 threads? Impressive.

9. Oh yes and,

Core 2 Quad Q9950
    Gigabyte X48
    4GB 800MHz Cas 4 Team Elite DDR2
    ASUS Radeon 5870 1GB
    OCZ Vertex LE 200GB
    WD Green 1TB
    Corsair HX1000w
    BenQ V2400w
    Windows 7 x64 Professional

Everythings coming up to 3 years old now except the 5870 which I bought a year ago and the SSD which I bought on special a few months ago. I'll probably upgrade mid this year including a better monitor.

10. For me, I just like to literally split up the storage space for different purposes. The internal HDD is mainly for applications and current projects, plus a few specific things like music and photos. The externals are mainly for legacy storage and also backup. For example, I use the 1 TB LaCie for Time Machine backup of the internal HDD. I think part of buying external vs. internal is habit, and part of it is thinking the protection for legacy work is a bit better with an external. It has it's own protective case if you aren't actively using it and file it in a closet or cabinet.

11. Fair enough, I definitely see the point in that. At least you actually use the internal drive for current projects though. The two people I was talking about use externals for everything... except programs obviously.

12. At this point my system looks like this:
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+
    4GB Corsair XMS RAM
    Asrock SATA2 mobo with both AGP and PCIe
    Sapphire HD5770 1GB Vaporx
    Creative XFi Xtremegamer Fatality
    1x 120GB Corsair F120 SSD (Had a Vertex2 120GB, but it broke down and exchange resulted in a slower version and ended up swapping that one for the Corsair)
    320GB HDD (not sure which because I pulled it out of the server)
    Dell 2209WA (because I wanted a better and bigger monitor for Photo editting)

I also run a server next to it with ATOM / ION combo and 3TB Maxtor GP drives.
    I access that one through a 1Gbit network which is pretty awesome because I can load images (DVD's / CD's) faster then the CD-rom drive. :D

13. Well, I can finally post in here without being embarrassed. It's still a laptop, but it's a true gaming laptop. An Asus 73.

- Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM (Sandy Bridge) quad core
    - 8GB DDR3 memory
    - 17.3" widescreen display (1600x900)
    - 750GB Serial ATA hard drive (7200 rpm)
    - Nvidia GTX 460M - 1GB

14. man that is a huge laptop. I imagine you don't really bring it out of the house often

15. That's a monster. Probably what I would go with too if I wanted a gaming laptop.

16. It's pretty much a folding desktop. But I like having the option of taking it with me on trips.

17. Wow nice laptop:p You sure it aint 1920x1080?

18. I just ordered a basic laptop for general use and internet browsing.

Core i3-2310M 2.1Ghz (sandy bridge)
    4GB RAM
    500GB HDD
    15.6'' 1366 x 768 screen

As it was for very basic use I didn't see the point in paying the extra for the i5 and the sandy bridge i3 was only £15 more than the older 380M. The 380M has a higher clock speed but having a quick look around I found the 380M scored around 500 points less in CPU Passmark and I would have felt like I was buying something too old if I went with the older i3-380M.

To be honest I doubt I will use it that much at all, mostly for the wife to use.

I also got 3 yr parts and labour for £89 which is a bargain.

19. No. It's low res. No blue-ray either. I kinda wanted them both, but I was trying to keep that cost down. And the ultra fast chip sets were a must.

20. 1600x900 isnt anything bad for a laptop;)