Post your PC specs

Discussion in 'Technology' started by HellRipper, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Heh cmdr!

I had the core 2 duo E6700 till yesterday. The finest and best CPU I have ever owned.. however it was starting to get slower than my work computer with certain tasks. So I had to change. Ivybridge seemed like a good option. So I went with i7 3770K, new DDR 3 8GB and a asus mobo again.

At the very last minute I got an SSD drive... my whole browsing experience has changed. I feel like I am in some new kind of computing.. there is no load bar for many of my operations.. I love technology!..

I aware that I got an end of life range for Intel possibly.. but I am very happy :)

2. That SSD is making the biggest difference for you.

3. My new PC is;

CPU: i7 3770K
    GPU: AMD 7950 3GB
    MEM: 8GB DDR3
    SSD: OCZ 120GB
    HDD: 1.5TB Seagate

On order: Samsung 256GB SSD for games only..
    I dunno whether to upgrade to 16GB RAM, would I notice any difference in anything?
    Do any of you have cross fire too?

4. IMO crossfire and SLI are bad ideas unless you just want a crazy fast machine and buy 2 cards right away. Don't bother upgrading later as there will always be faster cards with better drivers than SLi or Crossfire.

You wont notice any memory difference from 8 to 16 unless your running virtual servers or desktops.

I broke down and bought an ASUS GTX670 DC2 2GB. I got a heck of a deal on it. This will be the first GPU I haven't water cooled in many years. The DCII cooler kicks ass and I don't want to mess with water cooling a GPU anymore.

[​IMG]

5. That is a lovely card, and my first choice. However the 7950 was on a amazing deal so I had to bite.
    What card you upgrading from bfun?

6. I'm coming from a 3 year old HD5850. It was a pretty good card.

7. I've decided to get out of the water cooling business. There was a time when it offered great benefits but that isn't the case anymore. I think I've been doing it for 7 years now, maybe more. Anyway I ordered the Thermalright True Spirit (120). It should work well for me.

[​IMG]

8. I have something similar, the Cooler Master Hyper 212+. It is excellent, especially compared to the junky stock cooler.

9. I thought about getting the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO but it wouldn't have gotten here in time for my build.

10. Agreed. By the time you get around to adding a second card, there's usually a reasonably priced single card solution that will be better than two of the old cards in SLI or Crossfire.

Also, are you just getting the GTX 670, or are you doing an entirely new build with Ivy Bridge?

11. Just the GTX670 and a new heatsink for the CPU. I'll probably run my i7 950 until it dies.

12. Well I probably cursed myself. I think my CPU or the motherboard is dead. I have no idea what happened but I get the CPU error light and it wont post. Basically I pulled the MB, put a new back plate on it, attached the new cooler, and re-installed the MB. Maybe I bent some pins while applying the new cooler. I duno. I took it apart again and nothing changed. Bummer. The old i7 boards are rare and expensive so I wont mess with trying to replace parts. I'd be better off getting a cheap i5.

13. I destroyed my old Phenom 2 doing simple maintenance. Beat myself up over it too. I wouldn't do anything drastic yet though. It might just be that you motherboard won't boot up after being unplugged like mine does sometimes (Asus Deluxe version). All you gotta do is toggle the on/ off switch on your power supply. Or if your mobo has a CMOS reset button you can try that.

It's always possible that you were just a dip though, and f*ed yourself out of a computer :x lol. I'd say check your pins but Intel makes them too small to see now.

14. @bfun

I see an i5-3570K and a Z77 motherboard in your future.

15. The pins might be bent but they are hard to see. Some look odd.

I did order an i5-3570K and a Z77 motherboard this moring.

16. woop woop welcome to the ivybridge party.

I assume already have DDR3 memory?

I ordered myself another SSD 256GB Samsung 830, it was on offer.
    There is a plextor deal at only £109 for 256GB dunno whether to pick that up for even more storage.. I love game speeds after being installed on SSD its so lovely.

17. The CPU cooler screw layout on LGA 1155 looks very similar to 775. Do you guys think I could reuse my Zalman CNPS 9500 on an Ivy Bridge chip?

18. My cooler had a special back plate piece just for the 775. I’d bet your cooler won’t match up but sometimes companies will sell the new mounting hardware.

19. I never even heard of Ivy Bridge until a few days ago. It looks like it’s only a minor upgrade from Sandy Bridge but the price is about the same so I figured I’d go for it. From what I read Intel went cheap on the internals so this chip will get red hot if you try to OC it. I got the version with the unlocked multiplyer but I probably won’t OC the chip.

I have 6Gb of DDr3 but I guess I can only use 4Gb of it now. Maybe I can find an identical 2Gb stick and go to 8Gb.

20. I had to get a new fan man, but even a cheap one is running my CPU at very cool temps, this is after a session of max payne 3 too.

[​IMG]

The strange thing is even with a game, flac encoding in the bg and then a tv show on the side it doesn't go above 30% I am very impressed with it.