Post your PC specs

Discussion in 'Technology' started by HellRipper, Jan 24, 2011.

1. I may end up getting a Noctua. My brother keeps raving about how cool and quiet his Noctua CPU cooler and case fans have been.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608018

2. That's probably one of the best air coolers out there but it's huge. The cooler actually covers the memory so you have to remove the cooler to get to the memory. It's meant to handle a 125w CPU. Might be a little overkill for a Ivy Bridge unless you plan to over-volt it.

3. My first SSD :D. On friday night Amazon had a HUGE blowout 5 hour sale and I swiped a SanDisk 120gb Extreme SSD for 99 bucks. Unfortunately the SSD is going to my old house (since it's address is programed into Amazon... BUT my Dad lives a few blocks away so it shouldn't be a problem) AND unfortunately my "netbook" is in the shop :/ (cpu fan went kaput on meh) BUT I simply couldn't HELP myself from this impulse buy! Package should arrive on my birthday too :) June 12! OFC since it's going to my old house, 150 miles away, I won't be getting it till Father's Day... BUT!! Gives my netbook some time to get out of the shop.

I'm thinking I'm gonna die of envy though, putting this in my netbook while my desktop runs on a mechanical HD... but I have a second WD Cav Black here to raid it with once I get around to it... and that feels like soon!! Note: I hadn't tested the other HD over the year+ I had it waiting here for my lazy ass so crossing my fingers that it even works but... think newegg will take it back if it doesn't?? good thing is HD prices have gone SKY HIGH since than! I can ebay it for more than I paid!

Anyway I plan to do before and afters all around! just interested to know how a desktop raid compares with an SSD. Not sure what spec of SATA the Brazos rocks with.

4. And I do believe the first sign of Trinity surfaces today in the HP Sleekbook http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopping/cto.do#anchor-top oh my lord I almost wanna buy it. if not for me already spending like 300 bucks on credit in the last 2 days lol...

5. I may be somewhat late to the party, but I picked up an SSD internal drive for my Mac Pro today: 240 GB Mercury Electra. I also grabbed a 3 TB Seagate internal SATA to offload some of my smaller external drive data onto. I've got a 1 TB LaCie external that's been acting somewhat flakey recently, and my DVD rips have outgrown another 500 GB external LaCie. At any rate, that means all my internal bays are full now.

6. It's seems weird to say it these days, but this isn't considered a hot deal anymore. More like warm/normal deal. SSD's seem to be falling to 80cents per gigabyte now. The Samsung 830 series 128GB seems to be hitting everywhere at $90 (most likely due to the 840 series coming out). If you find something around 60 cents a gigabyte, then that's considered a hot deal, but even then, in a few months, that's going to be normal. It's about damn time too.

7. I bough one at $1/gig and one at about $.85/gig. And the prices keep dropping.

8. My piece of shit Hanns G 24.6" monitor that I bought in 2009 died. I'm back to using my 4:3 Princeton 17" monitor I bought in 2004. This thing is probably one of the most reliable piece of electronics that I've bought in the last decade. It outlasted 2 monitors. My Gateway 22" monitor I bought in 2006 and this pos Hanns G.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a Catleaps 27" on ebay. I'll let you know my horror story once I get it.

9. Why do you keep buying weird off brand monitors? What's wrong with Samsung, LG, ASUS, Dell, etc?

10. Dude it is still worth it for the price. It's like 60% cheaper than a brand name. Very good life if it lasted 4 years.

11. http://www.overclock.net/t/1225919/yamakasi-catleap-monitor-club

catleap monitors are the same panels used in apple cinema displays that didn't pass apple's high QA requirements. they've been the rage this past year. the hanns-g was the only weird brand monitor i got. the princeton was one of the higher end monitors back in 2004. newegg priced it at $339 and it had dvi, with high reviews. the gateway (s-pva panel) was $600 back when i got it.

12. I have a Samsung 172t from 2003 that still works perfectly. My Samsung 226BW from 2007 also still works perfectly. I don't consider 4 years an acceptable lifespan for a monitor. To me it's worth it to spend more and get something that will last.

13. I thought Hanns G was top of the line stuff.

Regardless of good or bad brand name those "old" LCD monitors will fade after 6 years or so. I hope the new led ones do better.

14. the stupid brand name is CATLEAPS what?? that's almost as bad a From Software! what can you expect from a catleaps machine but pure madness?

15. hell if i know. it's also branded as Yamakasi which gets distributed from south korea, obviously not a korean name.

16. sounds like a soyu sauce name :)

17. That is borderline hoarding to me. I don't replace my monitors and PC's as frequently as phones, but I wouldn't pay a oversized premium up front in case I want to replace with the lastest stuff. It is what keeps me from buying a Macbook Pro, at $2200 I'd have to hold onto that mofo 10+ years.

18. The thing about old monitors is that you don't really notice how bad they have gotten until you place them next to a new monitor.

19. I got it today. They used some kind of sorcery fedex shipping. They literally shipped it out yesterday from Seoul and it arrived today. I flew Asiana Airlines (korean airline) before and it wasn't even this fast. Yamakasi had some type of asshole built-in stand bullshit. I had to pry open the housing to get it off since it was covering the vesa mounting screws to put my mount on it.

i'm really feeling this 2560x1440 res.

http://i.imgur.com/7Z6Fj2n.jpg witness my filthy keyboard.

20. Nice. Now you need a white keyboard.