Post your Windows 7 Experience Index

Discussion in 'Technology' started by cmdrmonkey, Feb 6, 2011.

1. just the thread I was lookin for... was window shoppin on the internet (if you window shop in linux does it become 'linux shop'??) and wanted a quick compare of a $700 Llano notebook and my current Phenom IIx3. Their virtually the same!!

Bout Time to upgrade!

2. Built a computer for the grandparents.

Processor: 7.2
    Ram: 5.9
    Graphics: 4.5
    Gaming Graphics: 6.1
    Primary Hard Disk: 5.9
    Overall: 4.5

AMD A6-3650 Llano APU
    4GB gskill DDR3-1333
    Biostar A75MG mobo
    750GB Seagate 7200rpm

Good on the CPU, but the graphics scores are a bit LOL-worthy. Still better than intel integrated though. I'd say its real world performance is about Core 2 level. Not bad at all for $300 on the whole system. AMD may be struggling at the high-end, but they're still great if you're on a tight budget.

Also, the APU idles at 29C with the stock cooler and a little bit of arctic silver ceramique. That's pretty damn impressive. Usually you need an aftermarket cooler to reach those temps.

3. Also, I should have gone to an SSD ages ago. Popped a 120GB Kingston in my desktop. Primary hard disk score is now 7.4. Can't get over how fast my PC is now. I really think any slowdown I was experiencing was my old mechanical HDD.

I don't think I can stress this enough. If you have the money to get one, get an SSD. You won't regret it. Best upgrade I've made in years.

4. 6.1 for gaming graphics isn't too bad. Gotta love those SSDs.

Here is my latest.

Processor: 7.6
    Memory: 7.7
    Graphics: 7.9
    Gaming Graphics: 7.9
    Primary Hard Disk: 7.3
    Overall: 7.3

5. just a heads up for people who have ssd's. opt in to the Steam beta. you have options on where to install your steam library now.

6. Processor: 6.7
    Memory: 7.1
    Graphics: 4.6
    Gaming Graphics: 6.1
    Primary Hard Disk: 5.9
    Overall: 4.6

Bah. Graphics let it down.

7. As is the case with most pre-built computers/laptops. At 7.9 graphics is my strongest point.

Processor: 7.3
    Memory: 7.3
    Graphics: 7.9
    Gaming Graphics: 7.9
    Primary Hard Disk: 7.0
    Overall: 7.0

The old Vertex 2 is getting a bit thrashed I'm thinking.

8. I finally jumped on the ssd bandwagon.

Grabbed a 240GB version of this for $140 on newegg.
    http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/solid-state-drives/solid-state-drives-330-series.html

The stars aligned on this one. Newest Steam beta added location choice on library install, decent sized ssd for low price, and Intel.

And finally after all these years, it looks like raid gets TRIM support. But only on Intel 7 series mobos so far.

9. so... are you looking to put the library on SDD or not? if not than does the game benefit from the SDD at all or just the UI? If so than... well switch the two around and same question? How much space does it save, on the HDD by keeping your steam files on SDD? Or is it the other way around? Dudebro version please.

10. I'd have a choice in this case. I could choose to install an intense map loading game on the ssd, and then install the quicker loading games on old school hdd's.

It's no different than when you install a game and it asks you where you want to install it. You're overthinking it too much bahaaha

11. The Steam Mover program pretty eliminated the need for me to pick a drive. I can move games back and forth between the SSD and HDD as I need them.

12. My brother recently upgraded to an i5-3570k and gave me his old Q6600.

Processor: 7.1
    RAM: 7.1
    Graphics: 7.5
    Gaming Graphics: 7.5
    Primary Hard Disk: 7.5

Overall: 7.1

Will definitely still be upgrading to an i5 or i7 in the near future though. But this was nice because it was basically a drop in upgrade on my socket 775 mobo.

13. Free and still better than my laptop. :(

14. Your laptop is fine. The reality is that most mobile chips, even many mobile Core i7 chips, are dual cores due to power consumption and heat concerns in laptops. The CPU index is another area similar to the maximum of 5.9 thing with mechanical hard drives where the Windows Experience Index is funky. It's impossible to score a 7 or above with a dual core in my experience, even a fast Sandy or Ivy Bridge dual core. But even an old, weak quad core like a Core 2 Quad or Phenom II X4 will get above a 7.

15. Win 8 score

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz 7.8
    Memory (RAM) 8.00 GB 7.8
    Graphics NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 7.9
    Gaming graphics 4095 MB Total available graphics memory 7.9
    Primary hard disk 146GB Free (238GB Total) 7.6