Religious Studies 101: Islam

Discussion in 'monkeyCage' started by alterego, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Interesting comment coming from someone who has apparently "evolved" into thinking that banning Muslims is a good idea.

2. #2 cmdrmonkey, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
    The idea that Islam is a religion of peace is just another example of political correctness jumping the shark. The left really wants to tolerate these medieval savages who would love nothing more than to murder us all.

I'm a very tolerant person. But my tolerance has limits. I no longer tolerate Islam. It's a religion of hate and violence started by a murderous barbarian pedophile. I would put it in the same category as other dangerous ideologies like Nazism and totalitarianism. Religion in general is a bunch of crap, but Islam takes the crazy to a whole other level. And ISIS is Islam in its purest form.

Trump is right. We should be very suspicious of why these people who hate us and don't share our values want to immigrate to our country.

I don't have a problem with banning immigration from certain countries like Afghanistan, Iraq, and Syria. And I think we should be extremely suspicious of why anyone from a Muslim country would want to immigrate here. I'm okay with racial profiling at airports. An old Jewish grandma probably isn't going to blow up the plane. I also think we should disband the TSA and replace the overglamorized mall cops with heavily armed National Guard soldiers in the airports. We should model ourselves on the Israelis who have been extremely effective in dealing with Islamic terrorism. We cannot afford to be politically correct when dealing with an enemy like ISIS.

I'd also be okay with making an example of an ISIS held city like Raqqa with an air fuel bomb or a low yield tactical nuke. We need to send a clear message to ISIS that we are done putting up with their shit.

3. Guess what religion most right-wing extremists are...

"Though terrorism perpetrated by Muslims receives a disproportionate amount of attention from politicians and reporters, the reality is that right-wing extremists pose a much greater threat to people in the United States than terrorists connected to ISIS or similar organizations. As UNC Professor Charles Kurzman and Duke Professor David Schanzer explained last June in the New York Times, Islam-inspired terror attacks “accounted for 50 fatalities over the past 13 and a half years.” Meanwhile, “right-wing extremists averaged 337 attacks per year in the decade after 9/11, causing a total of 254 fatalities.”

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/20...ight-wing-extemist-than-by-muslim-terrorists/

4. #4 cmdrmonkey, Jul 2, 2016
    They're probably defining "right wing extremists" as any Republican with a gun who shoots another dude. What a crock of shit.

They also conveniently set the timeline so it doesn't include 9/11 itself with its 3,000+ casualties caused by Muslim extremists. They conveniently leave out Paris and Brussels.

Also there were 50 people killed by the Orlando shooter alone. Sounds like the numbers there are bullshit, considering there have been other Muslim attacks just in the US, like Fort Hood and CA.

And it came from a website called "thinkprogress." Fucking lol dude, try harder.

5. #5 cmdrmonkey, Jul 2, 2016
    Alterego's favorite religion of peace struck again overnight. 20 dead hostages including two Americans in an ISIS attack on a cafe in Bangladesh. They also blew up part of the airport in Istanbul a few days ago with 42 dead. They just can't stop spreading that message of peace around the globe. But it's Islamophobia that's the real problem. We just aren't being tolerant enough. It's their culture to flip out and murder people and we should respect that. Since us even being alive is an affront to Islam maybe we should all just bend over and let ISIS behead us. Once they've murdered us all and raped our women to death, there will truly be peace.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/02/asia/bangladesh-dhaka-shooting/

Alterego, I'd like to know why misogyny and homophobia pisses people like you off when Christians do it, but when Muslims do that shit and do it a million times worse, it's just part of their culture that we should tolerate. I don't have that problem because I don't tolerate it from either group, and I think all religions are bullshit. The cognitive dissonance from the far left with regard to Islam is really baffling to me. You desperately want to tolerate people who hate everything liberalism stands for and literally want to murder you.

6. They are not murdering random civilians in the name of religion. I'd agree they are a domestic terrorist group, and have issues with federal government and law enforcement. But their targets are more methodical compared to 'death to all infidels'.

***Not saying they are great people. But they aren't blowing up crowded places for maximum collateral damage.

7. The survey wasn't done by thinkprogress...but you'd know that if you had actually read the article and followed the links. I understand why you didn't: it completely undermines your argument, so now you're just reduced to bluster and talking about attacks that aren't even in the United States. Last time I checked, Trump wasn't running for office in India.

"In a survey we conducted with the Police Executive Research Forum last year of 382 law enforcement agencies, 74 percent reported anti-government extremism as one of the top three terrorist threats in their jurisdiction; 39 percent listed extremism connected with Al Qaeda or like-minded terrorist organizations. And only 3 percent identified the threat from Muslim extremists as severe, compared with 7 percent for anti-government and other forms of extremism."

and

"Since 9/11, an average of nine American Muslims per year have been involved in an average of six terrorism-related plots against targets in the United States. Most were disrupted, but the 20 plots that were carried out accounted for 50 fatalities over the past 13 and a half years.

In contrast, right-wing extremists averaged 337 attacks per year in the decade after 9/11, causing a total of 254 fatalities, according to a study by Arie Perliger, a professor at the United States Military Academy’s Combating Terrorism Center. The toll has increased since the study was released in 2012."

So even if you add in the Orlando shooting, the Christian extremists are still doubling up the number posted by the Islamic extremists inside this country post 9/11.

8. Where in your links do they breakdown a religious component? Far right extremists alone isn't enough.

Sovereign citizens don't believe in taxes or US authority. They may happen to be Christian but aren't killing for it.

The far right crazies that shoot abortion doctors are definitely religious extremists. They match better with Islamic terrorists.

9. Extremism on the far right almost always includes anti-semitic elements and beliefs, which is definitely religious in nature. For example, the most recent anti-Clinton campaign material from Trump putting the phrase 'Most Corrupt Candidate Ever!' inside of a Star of David.

10. #10 cmdrmonkey, Jul 5, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2016

The idea of there being a moderate Muslim majority is a myth. Most of them basically agree with ISIS and want Sharia Law.

11. Using that loose interpretation, an Islamic person involved in an 'honor' killing would be an Islamic terrorist. Adding those numbers will dwarf the far-right 'Christian' extremists.

@cmdrmonkey Those numbers seem ridiculous. I'd almost want/have to believe people were duped or didn't really know what the hell they were really choosing. See #Brexit.

12. Seems like he's a bit liberal on what constitutes a radical Muslim is. You can say most Christians extremist using the same criteria. 60% of American Christians support the death penalty. 75% of American Christians support male genital mutilation. Also, your still twice as likely to be killed by white anti-government christian fanatic in the US than a Muslim. Also more likely to be killed by a police officer, a gang member, or your own spouse. Up till 2015 you were more likely to be killed by a toddler. It just seems like a bit of a double standard. Crazy white guy blows up building, unloads weapon in a theater, throws pipe bomb in school is just a crazy white guy. No one gets worried.

13. #13 cmdrmonkey, Jul 6, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2016
    This is a congregation of "moderate" Muslims:

Maybe they won't personally behead you. But they totally get why ISIS does it and don't seem to have a problem with it. It also makes it pretty clear why Muslims don't speak out in a big way against terrorism or turn in their friends or family members when they become radicalized. It's because most of them basically agree with ISIS and other terror groups. The concern by Muslims after terror attacks is never for the victims, but is instead about Islamophobia. Which is a stupid made up word that implies that it's irrational to be afraid of these people going on kill crazy Jihadist rampages. Or that Muslims are the real victims and not all of the innocent people they murder with alarming regularity. It seems like they are also worried that the myth of the "religion of peace" will be shattered if enough people get a glimpse of what Islam is actually about, which is hatred and violence.

I'm coming around to thinking Trump is right to ban Muslim immigration. I'd also be okay with deporting Muslims. I don't want people like this in my country. They will never share our values, and their values are a threat to democracy.

• lol lol x 1
  14. It's literally the direct religious motivation aspect of it:

Killing based on Quran - Islamic Terrorism
    Killing based on Bible - Christian Terrorism
    Honor Killings - Social/Cultural violence / violence against women
    Anti-government - Fanatical right wing violence
    Guy shoots up a movie theater dressed as joker - Mental health related violence
    Drug/gang killings - drug/gang violence

LOL monkey is a radicalized Trumper.

15. #15 cmdrmonkey, Jul 6, 2016
    I actually do agree with Trump on a few things. Namely that globalization and outsourcing have destroyed the American middle class, that America is a country that has been used and abused by other countries for too long, and with the danger posed by Islam which will not be fixed with political correctness or burying our heads in the sand and pretending that Islam is a "religion of peace" or that "it's just a few extremists."

Shillary on the other hand is a completely worthless candidate.

16. #16 cmdrmonkey, Jul 6, 2016
    Let's allow more Muslim immigration so they can celebrate New Years by gang raping our women by the thousands like they did in Germany.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Year's_Eve_sexual_assaults_in_Germany

Or we could ban them from immigrating, deport the ones who are here if they get out of line, and not act like pussified cucks like the weak girly men in Europe.

17. Honor killings? That isn't really an issue in the United States. And the idea that very consistent anti-semitism in the far right is a "loose" interpretation of religious motivation? WTF?? It couldn't be any more specific.

18. Or you could sign up for military duty in Afghanistan and live out the CS:GO dream in reality! I've heard it's just like a video game, and everybody comes back feeling like an ass-kicking Captain America.

19. it's about 25 deaths a year and goes into the stats as violence against women. In my opinion it's not religious extremism. But if you're going to count anti-govt Christians as religious extremists, you have to be consistent and add the honor killing deaths. 25x13=325 which alone tops the 254 figure from right wing fanatics over a 13 year period.

It's a loose interpretation because they aren't directly killing in the name of religion. They may believe in their superiority but it's not their motive. The article you linked is very specific to call it right wing extremists several times, it makes no connection with religion.

20. #20 cmdrmonkey, Jul 6, 2016
    Trump is right again. The only thing Muslim savages understand is strong man dictators like Hussein and Assad who keep them in their place. That's because Muslims are stuck in the middle ages and need leaders who will rule them like kings. Liberating them from the Ottoman Turks during WWI was one of the biggest mistakes the west has ever made. The Turks knew how to keep the Muslim world under control.

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/05/politics/donald-trump-saddam-hussein-iraq-terrorism/