Religious Studies 101: Islam

Discussion in 'monkeyCage' started by alterego, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Actually, Central Florida.. or more specifically, Orlando, is an extension of Puerto Rico.

2. Your own prior post said that rape culture in the United States was a "figment of the imagination". You're obviously completely wrong, not just in terms of the statistics (overwhelmingly non-false) but in the current political power structure throughout the United States. You attitude about rape in the U.S. is pretty much in line with the GOP.

As for Florida, you're saying "lol"...but you've got Rick Scott for governor and a GOP controlled legislature. You're living in American Taliban country.

3. #143 cmdrmonkey, Oct 8, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    lol if you actually think the US is a rape culture like Muslim countries. Also lol at you refusing to even discuss all of the abuse of women that goes on in those places.

Rick Scott is a white collar thief. He's a bad dude, but I haven't really seen him to be some religious zealot. He's just a greedy douche. North Florida might be American Talbian land. The area I'm living in is basically New York City's beach vacation/retirement spot. Boca Raton, which is right around the corner from where I live, has the largest Jewish population in America outside of New York City and LA. And most of those Jews are pretty liberal and moved here from New York. If you are from New York, New Jersey, or Eastern PA, you will probably feel right at home in Palm Beach or Broward, because many of the people in these counties relocated from those places. North, Central, and South Florida are so different, this could easily be three different states. But by all means, generalize based on North Florida, which is basically an extension of Alabama and Georgia.

4. You're the one that brings up foreign countries as if it's relevant to your fears about Muslims in the United States. I'm not discussing it because it's irrelevant. It's not Muslims that are supporting extreme right wing legislative agendas in this country or trying to introduce religion into the school system. It's primarily Christian Republicans.

5. So which part of this map is "North Florida"?

6. #146 cmdrmonkey, Oct 8, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
    lol, you post an election map where a black man running as a Democrat wins the presidential election in the state as proof that Florida is a bigoted, backwards conservative Christian state? What were you trying to accomplish with this? The map makes Florida look like a blue state. Notice how the tri-county South Florida Area which is most heavily populated is blue. Orlando and Tampa are blue. The red areas are mostly redneck counties where almost no one lives.

And in a thread about Islam you refuse to discuss Islamic countries where people live by Islamic law. How convenient for you. I guess the millions of horribly oppressed people in those countries don't matter.

7. It's a diversionary tactic. Instead of acknowledging how messed up Islam is let's shine the light somewhere else

8. It's called being charitable. I could have posted Rick Scott's double victories for governor, where Orlando, Tampa, and Fort Myers are all red by a wider margin than Obama's win over Romney. The point is that "North Florida" is a myth, and you don't really know what you're talking about...again.

I already posted an extensive list of Islamic majority countries earlier in the thread and the breakdown in terms of what type of legal system they had. Saudi Arabian style government is not common. You keep bringing it up because you refuse to acknowledge reality. Kind of like "North Florida"...

9. #149 cmdrmonkey, Oct 9, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
    And all that would prove is that voter turnout is low in midterm elections.

But you clearly know more than I do about Florida. I'm totally living in hillbilly American Taliban country, even though I'm surrounded by liberal Jews who vote Democrat in every election and played a major role in getting Obama elected twice.

Excuse me. I have to go join the other bigots in a hate rally. Then I'm going to drive around in a confederate flag pickup truck yelling hate slurs at people. And tonight I'm going to burn a cross on my lawn. Because South Florida is Dixie Land. Yeeeehawww!

10. That's a bit disingenuous. Most of the middle-east is purple. The yellow is nothing to brush over either...
    [​IMG]
    Countries and members of the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation where sharia plays no role in the judicial system.
    Countries where sharia applies in personal status issues (such as marriage, divorce, inheritance, and child custody).
    Countries where sharia applies in full, covering personal status issues as well as criminal proceedings.
    Countries with regional variations in the application of sharia.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_of_Islamic_law_by_country

11. lol, according to that map, the entire Middle East with the exception of Turkey is living under some form of Sharia Law, and much of it is under strict Sharia Law just like Saudi Arabia (purple).

Once again alterego is being disingenuous for the sake of political correctness.

12. You know what's also disingenuous? Showing the map but not reading the detailed list underneath. Try naming the countries that actually apply Sharia law to non-Muslims...which I also already did earlier in the thread. You guys are afraid of Christians being forced to follow Sharia law in the United States because of Muslim immigration, right? Isn't that supposedly the big fear you have?

13. "Florida

In 2015, the Florida House passed HB7111, which would have allowed adoption agencies to refuse service to same-sex couples, but it died in the Senate. HB401, which was introduced in October 2015 and discussed in the early months of this year, also failed to make it to the governor's desk. The bill would have allowed individuals, businesses with five or fewer owners, religious institutions and businesses operated by faith groups to refuse to produce, create or deliver a product or service to a customer if they have a religious or moral objection, according to the Herald-Tribune in Sarasota, Florida.

HB43 states that religious organizations, including churches and some schools, and faith leaders do not have to participate in any marriage ceremony that violates their religious beliefs. It was signed by Republican Gov. Rick Scott on March 10 and will take effect July 1."

That first paragraph almost sounds like...Sharia law proposed by elected officials in the United States. And then there's this...

https://www.thenation.com/article/movement-put-church-every-school-growing/

"Far from an isolated incident on the border of church and state, Venue Church’s involvement in Florida’s public schools is part of a national trend. In the evangelical world, the past twenty years have seen the rise of a franchise organizational model, in which a single national or international entity works with local “religious entrepreneurs” to install churches in public-school buildings, or in other relatively affordable facilities like movie theaters, rather than fund its own buildings."

You should be worrying about the Christians in the U.S., not the Muslims.

14. No. I don't think anyone has said that. I/we are not far-right lunatics despite your false equivalence. The only realistic fear is letting terrorists through without additional screening. I support anybody wanting to leave that shit hole. I never said we should ban immigration, but support additional screening.

I am against Syrian refugees though.... they didn't ask to be here, they are being relocating because they are homeless. Our government played a role in what happened to them. It's not unfathomable some hold ill will towards what happened to their homes and families.

Also, this is the 2nd time you tried to narrow the focus to Sharia law application to non-Muslims. We covered this on page 6 already. Sharia Law cannot and will not ever apply in our legal system. But people in the ME don't have that secular luxury and its legal standing allows oppression of roughly 200M people.

15. Now THAT is a load of crap…

cmdrmonkey: "I am generally left leaning, but I can see Islam for the abhorrent garbage that it is. Anyone who says ISIS doesn't represent Islam is either misinformed or being disingenuous for the sake of political correctness. ISIS are some of the most devout Muslims on the planet. They want to live their lives as murdering, raping, pillaging barbarians just like their prophet."

gafferUK: "I truly believe that there is no such thing as radical Islam, only levels of adherence. If you think about it those called radicals actually follow the religion closer than those we call moderates. Ironically they are better muslims."

supersonic: "It's an archaic, intolerant, political-legal-religious hybrid ideology that allows rulers to enslave people."

The theme, over and over, from you guys is that Islam itself is somehow different from Christianity or any other major religion in terms of the "danger" to society. You're definitely not limiting yourselves to a critique of terrorists. You're afraid of some sort of takeover in Western countries by Muslims.

You guys THINK you know what Sharia law is (ISIS, ISIS, and more ISIS!!!)…but, of course, you don't. Because you're deliberately ignorant on the subject. If you REALLY cared about oppression in the Middle East, you might have actually, say, read an article or two about Sharia law in order to educate yourself first.

-----

S: Let’s talk about Sharia in other countries. Critics of Sharia speak as if it were a monolithic punitive system that threatens to take over the United States. You have said that some Muslim-majority countries adopt Sharia and some do not.

I: Of all the countries that are part of the Organisation of the Islamic Conference, 26 countries make Islamic law a source of law according to their constitution. Of that number, all but five apply Sharia only to matters of family and inheritance law. So the number of countries where Sharia is the law of the land is extremely small. Saudi Arabia and Iran apply Islamic law most extensively.

But among other countries with Muslim majorities, there is Turkey that follows a French model of secularism. We have countries like Senegal, which doesn’t have a particular legal status for Islamic law. Then there are countries like Egypt, which has Islamic law as a part of the constitution as a source of law. In the three decades since that law was inserted in the constitution, Egypt did not turn into an authoritarian Islamic state. It was authoritarian, but not on the basis of Islamic law. Incidentally, that clause remains with revisions to proposed amendments to the constitution. And the supreme constitutional court of Egypt has managed to work out definitions of Islamic law that come from secular judges. They do not allow religious clerics, who are not part of the state system, to define what the state law is, even when it relates to Islamic law.

https://www.americanprogress.org/is...8/9263/setting-the-record-straight-on-sharia/

16. lol that's a textual summary of the map I posted. It also downplays 'only matters of family and inheritance law' nations. Their 'family law' is physical and metal abuse in western society.

Of course it's a critique of terrorism and security concerns. There is huge a difference between the Islam you're forced into in the Middle East and the watered down Islam in a free country.

One of my earliest post in this thread:

17. Let me guess...you're back to family "honor killings", which are not actually legal even under Shariah law.

Huh? You think people are "forced into" Islam in the Middle East? That's a new one. And since terrorism is just as likely without religious motivation (see the IRA), then focusing on Islam itself like it makes a significant difference isn't even going to help you be more secure. And I think most people with half a brain realize that the leaders of ISIS are not actually religious. They're just another version of political terrorist, with the religion as a smokescreen for duping gullible Westerners.

18. #158 cmdrmonkey, Oct 10, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
    Your comparison to the religious right in the US is rather moronic. They might be against gay marriage. But they aren't trying to pass laws to have gays summarily executed like they are in Islamic countries just for being gay. They might be against abortion, but they allow women to vote, have jobs, and drive cars, and not be treated as property or sex slaves. They might make comments about how women need to be careful with alcohol at parties so they don't get raped. But they aren't advocating to have rape victims jailed and stoned to death like in Islamic countries. There's a whole order of magnitude difference between the religious right in the US and Islam in the Middle East. The oppression SJWs, feminists, and others in the US and other western countries rail on about mostly exists in their own minds. In Islamic countries the oppression is very real. Things that conservative Christians disagree with but tolerate can get you imprisoned and/or executed in the Islamic world.

19. Religion of Peace™

[​IMG]

20. The GOP "allows" women to do things? I thought it was the U.S. Constitution that "allowed" everyone to be equal...at least, in theory. Then you actually get into the business world and court system and it doesn't exactly work that way. Florida just got around to budgeting money to actually process the rape kits the state collects for rape cases. In 2016. They had tens of thousands of them sitting in storage, untested. And that's not exactly unusual around the country these days. Planned Parenthood anyone? 99% of what that organization does is simply providing health care for women. It's a fact. Can't be denied. Yet it's under constant attack from those generous right-wing Christian Republicans who couldn't possibly be compared to right-wing Islamic political figures.

So now you're worried about being punished for converting from Islam? You guys are all over the road in this thread. I don't think you even know what you're worried about. You just randomly post things.