RIP - Top Gear

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by supersonic, Mar 26, 2015.

1. I was planning to find a stream or download of this tonight. I actually like the Matt Leblanc casting. Never head of the other guy, thought it was going to be Captain America at first.

2. #22 Grim, May 29, 2016
    Last edited: May 29, 2016
    Chris Evans is actually one of the most famous people in the UK, not sure why as he is quite annoying.

I missed the 3 cars competing, 2 seemed like I was being sold short. Looking at the planner for next week it looks like Eddie Jordan is involved in whatever the challenge is so that might help.

For you Americans Eddie Jordan used to own an F1 team (Jordan) which is now Force India. He present live F1 coverage in the UK, he is a short bearded Irishman with bad tastes in shirt designs.

3. The captain America guy is hosting Top Gear?

4. No, although our Chris Evans has an equally bland personality.

5. Saw it, liked it. The new episode made me realize the presenters aren't really that important. Car shows are a dime a dozen, especially on YouTube. What set Top Gear apart is style and production value. It's obviously backed by a large budget and production team. It looks like all of that remains intact, so I'm happy.

Leblanc did a great job, I like his style. Generic Chris Evans is decent, but too over-excited about everything. He reminds me of Hammond constant over the top delivery. I'm sure he will improve with time. I used to like James May the best, he was subdued and stayed on point the longest. Jeremy Clarkson was a blathering twat, I'm glad he's gone.

Solid return, imo.

6. Chris Evens is always like that it's his thing just look at TFI Friday and Big Breakfast. I actually quite enjoyed the first episode, especially the desert buggy section with Leblanc.

7. I'm not terribly impressed so far. Chris Evans seems to think shouting makes up for personality and his interactions with Matt were too awkward. It's the overly friendly act, like they're afraid of offending one another.

The UK vs US thing was really dull. The travelling to Blackpool segment was pretty pointless since they abandoned the vehicles once they got there and there wasn't any reason to be using them.

Matt is much better when he's on his own, like in the desert nomad segment but that need to work on the scripted lines because they fell flat and felt too hammy.

Sabine was good in the corvette.

The star in the rally car segment was just bloody awful. Despite being the dullest part of previous top gears, at least Clarkson could get some good stuff out of the interview and actually made the race commentary sound interesting.

Evans was just "whoo big jump!" To a silent crowd, the guests reading from the teleprompter was bad, as was the "cheer for whoever had the best car" and one of the guests rides a bike. That whole bit needs work.

They'll probably become more natural as the series goes on but as it stands, the guys on extra gear, the behind the scenes show, are a lot more natural and personable than those on the actual show.

I'd give it a 6/10. More work needed on the presenters, the guest bit and the editing.

8. Chris Evans looks like a bizarre cross between Larry "Bud" Melman and Conan O'Brien.

• lol lol x 1
  9. lol... I couldn't place it but a skinny Conan is about right.

The whole guest segment can go, nobody cares about it. I agree about Leblanc being better on his own. I think Matt Leblanc and James May would've made a good team. Sabine could be permanent presenter too.

10. Its wasn't anywhere near as good as the old one. I have Amazon Prime so looking forward to the Grand Tour more now.

11. Looks like Chris Evans has quit after that final episode with less than 2 million viewers. Whatever happened to viewing figures don't matter?

#FACT

12. Good riddance. I read he and Matt Leblanc didn't get along, and ML was going to quit if he stayed. I like Matt Leblanc as host.

13. New one felt like old Top Gear with new blokes, much better than the nonsense we got last year.

Old track, old format, the BBC saw sense.

14. Oh is it back?