Russian hackers

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by bfun, Jan 3, 2017.

1. CNN used a screen shot from Fallout to represent computer hacking.

[​IMG]

2. I can't help but be skeptical. They are expanding an unproven email server hack to widespread hacking of US corporations and utility power grid. Feels like a setup to stir up some bogus war or policy expansion.

3. we have to wait for the next set of wikileaks and snowden announcements to know the truth.

4. No need for Russkileaks and Snowed 'em. They're going to try (and fail) to have a trade war with China while Putin has a good laugh in the Kremlin.

5. Sarcasm duly noted, but this doesn't set off anybody elses bs meter? if russia infiltrated the electric grid, why wasn't anything done until the week between Christmas and New Years... a time when the gen pop gives no fucks. This type of unquestioned shenanigans led us into decade spanning bogus wars. Are we so sure there is no agenda for bogus ground war in Syria?

Hacking the DNC email server is one thing. But now it's expanded to hacking elections, corporations, and utility grids. If this is true DHS needs to be dissolved and rebooted from scratch.

6. [​IMG]

• like like x 1
  7. It's not sarcasm. Trump and Co. are best buds with Russia, and so are all the crew from Russkileaks etc. Worrying about wars with Syria is like worrying that the GOP doesn't like tax cuts anymore. The Secretary of State nominee spent his entire career as an Exxon oil liaison with Russia, for gods sakes. Thus, the trade war angle with China. They can rattle the sabers and talk trash about a non-white country while the Wal-Mart shoppers stupidly cheer them on.

8. I want to see proof of Russian hacking. This is no different than when Bush and the neocons wanted war in Iraq. Iraq was already the answer, they just needed the question. With the DNC, Russia was the always the answer this election, but they are still seeing which question the public will buy into.

It is so ironic that there is no way the Russians could have gained access to Hillary Clinton's poorly secured email server, but immediately after the DNC leaks, they already KNEW it was the Russians. Its not possible to determine a source of a breach that quickly. Its political scapegoating, and its dangerous.

9. Here's your proof...and this was before the election as well, so it's independent of the actual result.

“We have 17, 17 intelligence agencies, civilian and military who have all concluded that these espionage attacks, these cyber attacks, come from the highest levels of the Kremlin. And they are designed to influence our election. I find that deeply disturbing,” Clinton said during Wednesday's presidential debate in Las Vegas.

Trump pushed back, saying that Clinton and the United States had “no idea whether it is Russia, China or anybody else.”

But Clinton is correct. On Oct. 7, the Department of Homeland Security and Office of the Director of National Intelligence issued a joint statement on behalf of the U.S. Intelligence Community. The USIC is made up of 16 agencies, in addition to the Office of the Director of National Intelligence.

"The U.S. Intelligence Community (USIC) is confident that the Russian Government directed the recent compromises of e-mails from US persons and institutions, including from US political organizations. The recent disclosures of alleged hacked e-mails on sites like DCLeaks.com and WikiLeaks and by the Guccifer 2.0 online persona are consistent with the methods and motivations of Russian-directed efforts. These thefts and disclosures are intended to interfere with the US election process. Such activity is not new to Moscow—the Russians have used similar tactics and techniques across Europe and Eurasia, for example, to influence public opinion there. We believe, based on the scope and sensitivity of these efforts, that only Russia's senior-most officials could have authorized these activities."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ence-agencies-russia-behind-hacking/92514592/

And here's the difference with the Iraq war.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/05/michael-morell-bush-cheney-iraq-war

10. The FBI and CIA concluded Russia hacked the DNC email server. But there was no "hacking the election" and definitely no hacking of the power grid (now debunked). The lure of ad dollars has legit media spreading sensational click bait. A portion of people actual believe votes were hacked and there is no proof of that. The real fake news at work...

11. Fucking LOL.... his job is also to predict the outcome of creating a power vacuum in a violent 3rd world shit hole.

12. So you guys demanded proof about the sensationalist stories per Hillary Clinton? I must have missed that.

13. ^ I'm not sure what that sentence means. I'm just suspicious of the recent govt hype machine... just because Trump is friendly with Russia doesn't mean we shouldn't scrutinize what the other 600 politicians are up to. Exaggerating the Russian hack from an email server to something much greater could put pressure on US intervention in Syria. There is support for full scale military involvement from Graham and McCain.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opin...4e800ef2a63_story.html?utm_term=.bbfd591ea5a8

14. The thing is that tampering with democratic elections is Russia's M.O. Were not the first country to accuse them of doing this. They are constantly running an anti-democracy propaganda machine both inside and outside of their country. Democracy is the largest threat to authoritarian rule and the Russians are always eager to point at anything that makes it looks corrupt and ineffective. As far as Syria is concerned I believe the refuge crisis is intentionally being created by Russia. People would like to say it's just an unintended consequence of war but it's certainly working toward Russia's advantage in destabilizing the West. Brexit and Trump can both be attributed at least in part to their actions in Syria. They're also well aware of Trump's narcissistic personality disorder and they'll be using that for the next 4 years to their advantage.

15. A. Trump is going to be the commander-in-chief
    B. He and his administration are best buds with Putin
    C. Putin doesn't want U.S. interference in Syria (or Eastern Europe for that matter)
    D. Trump won't interfere in Syria (or Eastern Europe for that matter)

You're worrying about exactly the wrong military scenario in regards to Russia. Economic and military confrontation with China is what Putin is angling for Trump to do. Putin is obsessed with Russia being a superpower again, and having the U.S. and China fuck each other over is a step towards that.

16. Aligns perfectly with the GOP, which is now an anti-democratic party.

Here's one of the new "rules" they're putting in place right off the bat: congressional aides can now question government officials and private citizens under oath without elected officials even being present. So now they can continue smearing their political opponents (like Hillary Clinton) while also having the luxury of saying "I wasn't the one who did that. It was my aide."

https://www.bloomberg.com/politics/...s-staff-broader-new-powers-to-grill-witnesses

• like like x 2
  17. So I'm assuming you support an investigation of the Clinton Foundation, considering how concerned you seem to be about possible espionage and corruption? Better to be safe than sorry. We wouldn't want foreign governments influencing our politics, would we?

My priority is transparency and the truth. If we had proof of the Russians altering vote counts or affecting polling stations, I would be a far more concerned. However, I have seen zero proof other than some untrustworthy people, whom have been caught lying previously, claiming that "the Russians did it." Which also happens to be a politically convenient position given the complications in Syria. The saber rattling for action against Russia coming out of the Obama administration was loud and clear long before the election.

But I'll play ball. Lets say the Russians hacked the DNC. So what? They played a bit of Robin Hood, exposing some very damning information. I don't care who leaks the information. They did what our own media failed to do. If they had done it to the GOP also, I'd have been just as thrilled. I don't give a shit about protecting political party security, especially when it exposes the level of corruption in the DNC. The GOP with stab you in the chest, but it is now clearer than ever that the DNC will stab you in the back.

18. #19 bfun, Jan 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    So the ends justify the means. They can hack our system all they want as long as enough people likes the results.

Who are you referring to?

19. #20 alterego, Jan 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017
    They already "investigated" the Clinton Foundation, just like they "investigated" White Water and Benghazi. It's just a public media circus designed by the GOP to smear the Clintons, and facts or proof are never necessary. The GOP run committee completely exonerated Clinton in the final report on Benghazi, but you'd never know that by the way they talk about it in the press. They know that the innuendo echo chamber in the media is far more important than the truth.

The DNC is a private organization. It's not a part of the government. They can run the nomination of their own candidate any way they choose. They don't have to allow Sanders to run as a Democrat. They don't have to run voting primaries. They could have just had the party big wigs pick Clinton without any of that and it would be no different than the Green Party or the Libertarian Party. So what exactly were the hackers exposing that was actually a need-to-know public concern? Jack squat. It was just another smear tactic similar to the "investigations" of the Clintons. See how it all fits together?

I mean, you're basically trying to argue that targeting private citizens and organizations with hackers on a fishing expedition is perfectly fine, as long as they find something juicy for the media. Wasn't that supposedly Snowden's concern with the NSA? That they were rummaging around in everyone's private business and could potentially use it against them? Snowden never actually came up with an example of a U.S. citizen that had experienced that with the NSA, but here you have a clear, proven example of it with foreign hackers and you're cheering it on?