Samsung Galaxy S2 vs. iPhone 4S

Discussion in 'Technology' started by supersonic, Oct 7, 2011.

1. These videos would be more convincing if they showed the phone's condition before, and after being placed in the back pocket of a fat man in skinny jeans and being repeatedly sat on on a variety of stools.

2. I like how you keep stating the obvious as if someone is actually disputing it.

3. The other thing you forgot to mention is that you get locked into two year contracts which are expensive and hard to break. You can get a newer/better phone early, but it means signing on for another two years. So once people pick a carrier, they tend to stay with that carrier. I've been on AT&T since I first got a cellphone in the 90s because it always seemed like such a hassle to switch.

4. You said that Apple's use of Gorilla Glass for the back of the phone compromised it's practicality. If you agree that 99% of a smartphones practicality is the front of the phone, why make that comment?

5. With the iPhone you have cracked glass on your phone regardless of how it falls.... With other phones you have a decent shot at missing the screen.

Sure more emphasis is on the screen side, but that doesn't change the fact the all glass design sets itself up for higher likelyhood for damage.

6. Remember you can always get a phone unsubsidized for a notorious price so you don't have to renew that contract.

Problem is that it ends up being a waste of money:

A) if you have no plans on switching anyways
    B) you're not saving money since your monthly rates are still the same (unless you're on tmobile)
    C) the phone is still carrier locked and will most likely not be compatible with another carrier

If you do find yourself in a situation where you want to switch, remember it's not much of a hassle anymore. Just go to your new carrier and tell them you want to port your existing number from att to them. They'll go through the cancel process through ATT for you. You don't even have to talk to ATT.

7. Do you not get SIM only plans in the US? We can take out 30 day or 12 month contracts where you don't get a phone and just get the cut rate tariff. For example with O2 on a 600 minutes and unlimited texts plan..

18 month + phone £36/month (12 month contract for same price for renewing customers)
    24 month + phone £26/month
    1 month SIM only £21/month
    12 month SIM only £15.50/month

8. You can, but they do not make it easy. Lots of independent research and usually the sales people at the store themselves do not know. The average American idiot probably doesn't know what a SIM card is, or where and how to replace it anyway.

9. On topic:

I'm fairly certain I'm going to skip the Galaxy S2. Hopefully the GS3 won't be so gargantuan next year. I think I will pick up the iPhone4s, but I can't find it in stock anywhere.

Anybody know if the iPhone has a LED notification thing? I've gotten really used to that from my BB and Samsung. Some places say there are alerts, but others say no LED.

10. I guess you've really bought into that spliced and diced video you posted. Note that the Gorilla Glass front of the Samsung (despite being the same material as the front/back of the iPhone 4S) never suffers any major damage...and yet you're willing to believe that the same material is somehow MORE fragile when it's used by Apple.

11. There are notification alerts (sounds), but no LED notification. I don't think that trend is going to change soon for the iphone since its been 4yrs and there's been no change with that. But who knows, maybe the next design change will see that.

I'm just super glad samsung changed its ways with the Galaxy Nexus and put in one on that phone.

12. I'm not saying that at all. I know it will be hit and miss if you drop your phone.

All I'm saying is a typically phone is ~45% glass. The iPhone is ~90%. Your hit & miss chances effectively doubled.

THAT'S ALL I'M SAYING MAN.

13. http://www.apple.com/ios/features.html#notification

[​IMG]

14. That's the same as Android. What he was asking about was if it has an LED that lights up when you have a new notification so that you don't have to physically check your phone all the time. The international SGS2 doesn't have this either (not sure about newer US models), and it's a feature I would definitely find useful!

15. so it doesn't show the battery filling up like the ipod touch does?? It only does tha when off btw. Pretty sire iphone 4 does too actually.

16. It's for meetings or public events (like movies or whatnot) where you don't want sound alerts interrupting things. I suppose there's a mild convenience advantage compared to pressing a button every so often to make the lock screen info visible, but you're ultimately going to physically use the phone anyway if you want to see the information in the message.

17. I have an LED on my arc but it's on the side of the phone, by the charger/usb socket. Most useless place for one. EVER.

18. My old Nexus One even has a notification system, the track ball flashes when I have a message.

I will upgrading early 2012 but I wouldn't say having an LED will be a must have for me.

19. It isn't a make or break feature, but it is convenient. It wasn't something I even took note of until I got a Blackberry, and have come to appreciate the feature.

20. The Galaxy S/Captivate didn't come with a notification light, but Cyanogenmod lights up all of the buttons, which works just as well.