Seagate HDD failure

Discussion in 'Technology' started by alterego, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Any idea how much HDD recovery at a lab would cost? Nobody gives exact estimates online.

2. How bad is the damage? I priced it out for an Aunt a few years ago and I think it was like $500 to $10,000 depending on the problem. I ended up spending $100 on data recovery software and had my aunt mail the drive to me. I was actually able to recover every thing thing she needed and several billions files she didn't. When you do a recovery it reincarnates every file you ever deleted including the ever revolving web-cache. I discarded all the tiny files which was like 90% of all the data and sent her the rest on DVDs.

3. They aren't mine, but it's 2 external Seagate drives that a Mac or PC won't recognize. I opened them up and you can hear them clicking... which I've read is the worst case scenario. I basically said it was not going to be affordable to recovery anything, but she's a photographer with a lot of pictures on them I guess.

4. You actually took the drive apart? I saw a you tube video once of a guy who bought an identical working drive and swapped parts. That's probably a last resort as failure is highly probable.

I also had a bad drive that Windows couldn't see but Linux did.

5. Not the drive, the external case. With the cover open the clicking sound is audible... maybe I will try a Linux boot CD.

6. Just tell her you have no idea what you're doing. That would be more productive.

7. Not knowing what I'm doing + 5 year response time is implied when I render free services.

8. Try a linux live cd. I've been able to read drives in linux that were unreadable in Windows or OSX.

9. I need a 2TB - 3TB internal hard drive and I think WD and Seagate are the only manufacturers that still make them. So my choices are a 5400rpm WD Blue, Seagate with a high failure rate, or take a chance on new old stock for another brand. A lot of people who buy Toshiba and HGST are reporting they're getting refurbished drives sold as new. I think those companies stopped making new drives around 2011.

[​IMG]

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-benchmark-stats-2016/

10. 91% failure rate on the Seagate 1.5TB. lol. I had one of those drives. I had it replaced 6 times I shit you not.

11. I'm still trying to figure out how they had 77 out of 51 drives fail. That's just amazing.

12. The drives failed and then the replacements failed

13. I actually ordered a recertified 3TB HGST. I never imagined I'd order a recertified hard drive but after considering all things it seems like a good choice. The reviews for them seem better than many new drives and then the numbers below are impressive. I mostly plan to use the drive as a back-up to two other drives.
    [​IMG]