Site Rebranding & Initial Setup

Discussion in 'Pipeline' started by supersonic, Sep 30, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Re: Site Rebranding & Setup

Looks like you're the only one still getting 503's... I updated the ticket with DH, we'll see what they say. This is the log file, in case one of the IT wizards here already know what these errors mean.

edit- removed iP

2. Re: Site Rebranding & Setup

I guess I can see why using semicolons would anger them. It's the most noncommittal type of punctuation. Is it a comma? Is it a colon? Who knows, and anyone using it should probably be permabanned with 503 errors.

3. Re: Site Rebranding & Setup

Maybe your IP is fully compromised, Mr. Scatman. You already killed PvCF3! I can only imagine the reputation you've built across the internet.

4. Re: Site Rebranding & Setup

That log doesn't mean much to me I am not going to lie but rather than a helpful error log to me it looks like it is simply saying block anything with a 503 from that IP.

If you look it lists Windows NT 6.1 (7), Mozilla, Chrome, Safari and Applewebkit versions all on the same line which suggest it is saying 'anything from these sources on this IP you should block?' The bit at the start that says "GET / HTTP/1.1" 503 469 "http://www.pvcfzone.com/" to me suggests it is asking the server to return the 503 page.

This is my interpretation of it.

Do you have a static IP Monkey? Put it into a blacklist checker and see if you come up. If you don't have a static then just reboot your router and get a new one (as long as you are not on a black listed subnet with your ISP).

Can you whitelist his IP Supersonic?

5. Re: Site Rebranding & Setup

From my research (Googling).. the "http://www.pvcfzone.com/" would be the referrer. So I think he's clicking through the pic on the main page, but getting a 503 at the forum. The main site and the forum each have a different IP.

But, there is no IP blacklist/whitelist at the server level (I could find)... I don't think he's making it as far as SMF to be blocked by any of the anti-spam Mods. If Monkey can't change his IP, maybe DH will change the forum IP. I will also try disabling the mods.

Still waiting to hear back on my support ticket. It's weird because I was also getting these 503 errors Fri/Sat, I assume everyone was. But they stopped by Sunday morning for me.

Could be something botched from this...
    http://www.dreamhoststatus.com/2014/10/14/upgrading-150-shared-web-hosting-servers-to-ubuntu-12-04-precise-october-18th-8pm-1am-pdt/

6. Re: Site Rebranding & Setup

I was searching their discussion forums and it's not the first time someone has reported a 503 error for certain IPs. I didn't see a solution.

It's possible that it's not a single IP issue. It could be a problem with a whole block of IPs from the provider.

Just curious but what happens if you try a proxy?

http://www.proxyclube.org/

7. Re: Site Rebranding & Setup

I can see the site through a proxy. I can see the main page on my home internet, but when I try to go to the forum I get a 503 error. It works fine on my phone and through a proxy so my IP is definitely being blocked for some reason.

8. Re: Site Rebranding & Setup

A somewhat simple fix might be to release your IP from the provider. Maybe do it at night and then connect again the next morning. You may or may not get a new IP.

9. Re: Site Rebranding & Setup

Working now. I forced the modem to change the public ip address by spoofing my router's mac address under mac clone (I used a fake randomly generated mac address), thereby making the modem think it was a different router that needed a new ip.

The old ip address was showing up on four of the lists for sending spam emails. Though I've never been involved in any spamming.The new ip is coming up clean. Much easier to just change ip addresses than try to get off those block lists I would imagine. We've lost power and internet access quite a bit lately, and Comcast doesn't assign static IP addresses, so I'm guessing I got someone else's blocked ip address at some point.

10. Re: Site Rebranding & Setup

So SS. You making all those greetings or are they a mod of some type? They're nice but I think we need a few hundred more.

11. Re: Site Rebranding & Setup

Is the old site still down out of interest? Wandering if ichi has found out we've moved

12. Re: Site Rebranding & Setup

I don't think he will notice. I'm pretty sure he had lost interest in PVC. He wasn't coming around much.

13. Re: Site Rebranding & Setup

@ bfun

I made them in MS Paint! A PHP script rotates the title card you get each time. I got the idea from the Futurama titles, and most of them are directly quoted from Futurama.

I was obsessed my first week but I've run out of things to say... I think there is ~35 total.

@ monsly

Occasionally I change the DNS back to Ichi's server. Still getting "account suspended". Last checked Tuesday.

14. Re: Site Rebranding & Setup

http://www.pcvsconsoles.com is showing up as account suspended - didn't we have that sorted before?

15. Re: Site Rebranding & Setup

Clear the cache on your computer, it must still be pointing at old site.

16. Re: Site Rebranding & Setup

Hmm, on my phone but just tried chrome and got the same account suspended thing. Weird.

17. Re: Site Rebranding & Setup

Haha. I swapped the DNS just to see if the old site came up yet. But it should have switched back 12 hours ago. Maybe ipconfig /flushdns or wait it out.

I figure we got till end of the month tops before that host deletes the files, so I occasionally check.

18. Re: Site Rebranding & Setup

Wonder what happened to ichi? Hope he's ok. Maybe our site's cursed.

19. Re: Site Rebranding & Setup

Yeah, me too. I hope it's just my paranoia... But that account had to have more than our site, like his work related files which he really should've noticed by now....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.