Sony online pass?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Alpolio, Oct 5, 2011.

1. If consumers keep paying the same price, they won't adjust prices. If they won't pay it, prices will have to drop.

2. If it means developers get a bit more money then I don't mind the online pass, I'm not sure armadeadn realises that the game developers only have one bite of the apple, whilst the game stores get all the rest from second hand sales.

3. I don't give two shits about who gets my money for games. Developers have done very well making millions despite the second hand market for years now. The bottom line in all of this is people who tend to buy second hand games such as myself are going to be forced to spend more money or buy less games, and that irks me.

4. The secondhand market has gotten bigger. It's become more of an issue for publishers; they can't turn a blind eye to it any longer. Simple. I probably buy more games than anyone else here and I welcome this. I hardly ever use Game or Gamestation at all because their prices are shitty, even on secondhand. When I come across secondhand stuff with online passes then I just do the basic calculations and work out whether it's worthwhile buying. That's another good thing about this move; regular Game customers will need to learn basic mathematics.

5. There's some truth to that. But you might wish to also consider that if people such as yourself refused to buy second hand games that are not reduced in price to account for the difference with the online pass, organizations that market second hand games would be forced to lower their prices.

6. easy, don't buy second hand if your gonna play online. I don't play online anyway so it's easy for me to say :eek: .

7. Do you people really buy used games at GameStop? I used to swing buy look for deals, but used games are $2-5 dollars less than brand new. Also, Amazon new is typically cheaper than GameStop used.

In conclusion, only an imbecile would buy used games from GS.

8. That's what I don't like about it. Instead of paying an average of £10-£20 per game I'm going to have to start paying £30-£40 per game and I'll be getting no more for my money than I was when I was paying less money for them.

9. well maybe more devs will start paying attention to the offline portion of their games like they had done 10 years ago. Just speculating.

10. We the consumers won't see any positives or upsides from this new charge and if you think any differently then you're a fool!

11. I don't really think there'll be much difference, to be honest.

Buyers of new games won't notice any changes and you pretty much have to buy multiplayer games brand new anyway to make the most of the onlinecommunity.

12. Who are you referring to by "you people?" I don't buy anything from GameStop, but I've seen plenty of them in my travels. I buy most games online from amazon, buy.com, and occasionally newegg.

13. Of course you see upsides; you see NEW games.

Surely you have to understand the very simple economics of the way business works to understand why second hand games are bad for the industry? If everyone just waited to buy games when they finally appeared second hand no company would be in business to actually make games. You do realise that people who make games actually get paid for their time? That they have bills to pay, kids to feed and lives to live.

I'm not saying that publishers don't make fortunes but you'd be surprised to learn how many games, even big ones, just about manage to break even at the best of times. Blockbusters don't happen all the time and it's the big hits that cover the cost of developing the games that don't make huge amounts of money but can attain something of a cult following.

If you don't like paying full price for games but actually want to help developers then there's a simple solution; buy your games when they go platinum or six months after launch when you can bet there's a promotion of some sort that the publisher is running.

In the end it's down to simple economics. If developers can't make money they can't make games.

14. Black people, of course.

15. Oh, that clears that issue up, then.

16. Yeah, I know. I can buy a "used" new release for about $20 cheaper than I could at Walmart or from Amazon. And I'm not talking about Gamestop. I get my fix from either GameTraders or GameXchange.

17. So you're saying games companies aren't making enough money from brand new sales to make new games like they have been doing since the dawn of videogames, and if they don't all start charging the customers more money they'll all go under and the videogames industry will crumble due to lack of funding for new games?

I think not my friend, they don't NEED this extra money at all and I don't see us (the consumers) getting any benefits from having to pay this extra charge.

I agree with Monsly when he said the developers are entitled to charge this extra fee for multiplayer on their games, it's true, they do have the right to do it, that doesn't mean it's not greedy.

18. Your arguments border on ridiculous.

Did they have to support network infrastructure for online gaming during the dawn of videogames?

They are a business of course they NEED extra money, and they will pass on extra costs to consumers.

Greed is good!

19. Money never sleeps pal.

20. I'm glad they're effectively taxing these secondhand bums now. For too long they've lived off the scraps we've given them.