System Shock 2

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by cmdrmonkey, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Re: Let's Play Classic Games: System Shock 2

This thread is like me helping my mom with the computer.

2. Re: Let's Play Classic Games: System Shock 2

If he can't figure this out, I'm not sure how he's even going to play the game itself. SS2 is pretty complex and tough.

This game is from before games got dumbed down for the console dudebro generation.

3. Re: Let's Play Classic Games: System Shock 2

an iso is no different than a zip file. Win7 will unpack it by default if you right click it.

4. Re: Let's Play Classic Games: System Shock 2

I love how there's very clear directions in the first post and he was totally unable to follow them.

It's like trying to teach a chimpanzee calculus.

5. Re: Let's Play Classic Games: System Shock 2

Your first post is concerning installing from a disc. I don't have a disc so your instructions are instantly null and void. You reckon what I downloaded was a disc so I just have to find that and mount it into the virtual drive. How am I able to play the game, albeit without visuals after the menu if it's not mounted into the virtual drive though?

6. Re: Let's Play Classic Games: System Shock 2

Did you even use the tool I mentioned? You have to install that or the game won't work in Windows 7. That blank screen is a known issue if the game is not patched.

-mount disc
    -drag and drop the shock folder somewhere on your computer
    -download and run the tool
    -use the exe/application file it places in the shock folder to run the game

How hard is that? I'm trying to figure out why you're having issues. SS2 is easier to get running than many old games.

An iso is the same friggin thing as an actual disc when it's loaded in a virtual drive as far as windows is concerned. It doesn't change the instructions at all.

7. Re: Let's Play Classic Games: System Shock 2

Yep, best to just think of an ISO as a disc (it's an image of a disc after all) and mounting it is just putting it in the drive. With games that are a rip of the disc with an install process and don't need fixes you just mount and install like usual, with this, drag it somewhere on your pc, apply the fix then run the exe the fix creates.

8. Re: Dudebros and PC Games Just Don't Mix

I know what an ISO is. I've used them before on my PS1 emulator. I've not seen anything with regards to this game that looks like an ISO. I can only guess that the package of files I downloaded containing the game is an ISO, even though it doesn't say anywhere that it is.

9. Re: Dudebros and PC Games Just Don't Mix

Read what I posted below, Arma.

10. Re: Dudebros and PC Games Just Don't Mix

Found the ISO. It was somehow not in the same place as the System Shock 2 I downloaded and the icon was a DT lite logo, I was expecting maybe the System Shock 2 icon.

11. Re: Dudebros and PC Games Just Don't Mix

It's a DT lite image because that's the program associated with it. Like all your audio files are the iTunes icon

This thread is amusing

12. Re: Dudebros and PC Games Just Don't Mix

It's clear I'm simply doing it wrong. Here's a video showing you exactly what I'm doing. At the end if I run as admin the game crashes, if I just double click the icon I get to the menus and can start the game but once started there's no visuals as mentioned yesterday. Tell me what I'm doing wrong.

13. Re: Dudebros and PC Games Just Don't Mix

Read this thread. You need to change one thing. Guess it's unique to certain setups.

Open that ddfix file with notepad and change that one thing. See if that fixes it.

http://www.systemshock.org/index.php?topic=2261.0

I didn't have to do this by the way. The game just worked for me.

or try this:

14. Re: Dudebros and PC Games Just Don't Mix

You've got a superior setup so it's not surprising. I'll give it a go.

I just checked and the menu update delay was already at 25. I changed it to 0 to see if it helped but there was no change. If it helps when the game starts I can hear some ambient sounds but the voice doesn't appear until I start walking, so I know the game is running, it's just not showing me.

15. Re: Dudebros and PC Games Just Don't Mix

http://www.systemshock.org/index.php/topic,106.0.html

16. Re: Dudebros and PC Games Just Don't Mix

Did you try some of the other fixes?

As a last resort you could try Win 98 compatibility, but it may mess up other things so I don't know.

17. Re: Dudebros and PC Games Just Don't Mix

Thanks chi. That means I can now start the game via admin access without crashing, but I'm still getting a blank screen. That's half the problem fixed.

18. Re: Dudebros and PC Games Just Don't Mix

You think it would be wise for me of all people to try that? I'll peruse those forums you guys linked to and I'll keep you posted.

SUCCESS! I had to go into the ddfix.ini file and under the [MAIN] part I added the line "UseSysMemOverlay=2". Instant fix. I'll start playing it tomorrow. Since it's out of term time I finish at 12 noon but my ride home isn't ready until 4pm so have quite a few afternoons free at work (hence this forum time during work hours). When I finish at noon tomorrow I'll start playing System Shock 2, with headphones as well, to do the atmosphere justice.

This is the kind of shit I have to put up with when I try to play games on PC and people wonder why I love my simple consoles :)

Quick question. Should I just bind run forward to W or will I need to use RUN and WALK separately? Also will I need the lean forward command?

19. Re: Dudebros and PC Games Just Don't Mix

[​IMG]

20. Re: Dudebros and PC Games Just Don't Mix

The game is from 1999 and was designed for Windows 98. Most games from that time period don't even run at all on modern hardware, and the only reason this game runs is because it has such a devoted cult following that took it upon themselves to patch the game for modern setups.

That's the right idea. This game is hella creepy and has awesome sound. It's also best played at night.