Tablets are a Fad

Discussion in 'Technology' started by cmdrmonkey, Jul 19, 2011.

1. #261 cmdrmonkey, Nov 10, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
    I could not have been any more right. Tablets were just a passing fad. Tablets have pretty well died off as phone screens have gotten larger and higher res, and laptops have gotten razor thin. Even iPad sales have dropped off a cliff. Can't recall the last time I even saw anyone using a tablet in public. They seemed to vanish around 2013 or 2014. No one has even commented on this thread in four years. Everyone I know who bought an iPad no longer uses it. I don't even see iPads in the Apple stores I visit. Are they in some dusty back corner now?

https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/21/what-happened-to-tablet-sales/

2. I don't think tablets are a fad, they simply hit market saturation. Tablets are one-off purchase that don't need to be upgraded regularly. I use my iPad daily, but it's 5 years old and I have no need or intention to upgrade.

I think we'll see something similar with smartphones. Drop the gimmicky finance schemes and see how many people shell out $800-1000 for new phones every 2 years. The tech doesn't need to be upgraded regularly anymore.

3. There's definitely market saturation going on too. But at best, I think tablets are niche products, and companies like Apple and Samsung desperately wanted them to be mainstream.

4. Definitely agree. It's a niche product that sits in between no laptop and low end laptop. Yearly upgrades of resolution, camera, emojis make no difference to tablet users.

5. I still wouldn't call it a fad. People still use them. I stopped using mine because I got tired of charging it and my phone is good enough. The wife and kids have iPads and use them a lot. We only buy a new tablet if an old one breaks. I bought a new mini 4 after our mini 2 got bent. Up until then the 2 was still doing everything that we needed it to and I don't think the kids even know it's different. People don't buy new ones because there is no need to upgrade anymore. The same will happen to phones.

6. yea, it's used alot at home for me too. I don't use my phone at all when I'm at home. it's either the desktop or the iPad.

there's not much apple can do with the base iPad anymore as witnessed from the last generation. it's basically a value iPad air 2. we'll only see big changes in the iPad pro line but obviously that stuff is in the higher price.