Tablets are a Fad

Discussion in 'Technology' started by cmdrmonkey, Jul 19, 2011.

1. Are Tablets Just a Fad?

I like some jiggle in my jello.

2. Are Tablets Just a Fad?

Pretty impressive getting your hand crushed by a non-existent machine just to get out of work. That's dedication to laziness right there.

3. Are Tablets Just a Fad?

Metal press actually.

Here is the story. It's an hour long but told pretty good.

"Mr. Daisey and the Apple Factory"

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/play_full.php?play=454&podcast=1

Part 2 which is another hour.

http://www.thisamericanlife.org/play_full.php?play=454&act=2

4. Are Tablets Just a Fad?

Sounds like said employee wasn't following standard health and safety procedure.

5. Are Tablets Just a Fad?

This seems like a decent step to take, although having a third party company report on conditions and create standards isn't the same thing as the workers themselves having an organized voice in the matter.

6. Are Tablets Just a Fad?

I feel like I've made a difference.

7. Are Tablets Just a Fad?

Yep, you took a "bite" out of crime so to speak.

8. Are Tablets Just a Fad?

I'm sure PVCF will now be filled with rage over Microsoft, Sony, Samsung, Nintendo, Asus, HTC etc. failing to sign on with FLA and take a step toward better worker conditions.... :lol:

9. Are Tablets Just a Fad?

just as soon as apple prices go up about 50% more...

10. Are Tablets Just a Fad?

Bill Gates and Microsoft are examples of how to run a socially responsible company. Gates has donated $28 Billion to charity, more than anyone in history, and will give away 99% of what he owns to charity when he dies.
    Microsoft is not the evil empire. They have saved millions of lives. It's Apple that's the scumbag company. Jobs never gave anything to charity and knowingly used slave labor.

If you want to do right by the world, buy Microsoft products. Your money will go to charitable causes and help people in third world countries. Apple is the electronic equivalent of buying blood diamonds. Your ipad may look pretty, but somebody probably got their hand crushed in a machine press making it.

11. Are Tablets Just a Fad?

Gates has done a lot to help the world but he had some opinions that weren't so great for the American worker. I didn't like him lobbing to congress to get the H-1B visa cap raised.

12. Are Tablets Just a Fad?

Steve Jobs was a selfish miser.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/economy/record-thin-on-steve-jobss-philanthropy/2011/10/06/gIQA3YKKRL_story.html

I like how people defend him by saying he was too busy to give away money. This particular line made me laugh:

13. Are Tablets Just a Fad?

When you're that rich, you have a moral obligation to give back to society. If I were a billionaire, I would do exactly what gates is doing, keep enough to live comfortably, but give most of it to charity.

14. Are Tablets Just a Fad?

His children though. Think about Gates' children.

15. Are Tablets Just a Fad?

From what I understand, they still get millions of dollars, probably more than a normal person could spend in a lifetime.

16. Are Tablets Just a Fad?

Poor kids are probably stuck using a wp7 device though..

17. Are Tablets Just a Fad?

Eh, the Nokia ones look pretty nice.

18. Are Tablets Just a Fad?

You really believe that billionaire philanthropy = socially responsible? Seriously? Now I can see why you guys have bought into Ron Paul so easily. You think that 19th century style solutions like charity are the best way to move society forward.

Did you know that Bill Gates is involved with ALEC in the corporate push to privatize schools and funnel huge amounts of taxpayer money into corporate pockets?

Again, Apple uses the same supply and manufacturing chain as every other electronics manufacturer on the planet. If you want to pretend Microsoft and Samsung magically have better conditions and pay within the exact same system, then go right right ahead.

19. Are Tablets Just a Fad?

Ever hear of (RED)? Sales of Apple's (RED) products made them the largest contributor to the Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis, and Malaria. Does that change anything about worker conditions and their lives in the electronics manufacturing chain? Not really.

20. Are Tablets Just a Fad?

Apple RED is soliciting donations from their deep pocketed hipster clientele.

Steve Jobs was still a cheapass with his own wealth, which was the original topic.