The Most Influential/Significant Games

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Armadeadn, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Otacon's sister dying in his arms is funny? Strange sense of humour you have there.

2. [​IMG]

Final Fantasy VII

Some people may disagree but FFVII changed the JRPG genre. It brought a deep and epic storyline not yet seen in JRPGS, great character developments and the 3/4 disk lengths.

Still regarded as the king of JRPGS to this day.

3. Whops, quoted the wrong youtube, meant the one with the Johnny's:p Somehow i managed to reply to a video from another topic, scary.

4. The Johnny from MGS3 is supposed to be the father of the Johnny in MGS1 and 4.

5. FFVII was the first RPG I played, I think. I'd never played anything like it when my mate got it. All I knew was that Gamesmaster (TV) were super excited that it was coming to Europe. I loved it instantly, I'd not played a game with turn based battles besides Worms at the time. It made a huge impact on my own personal game world that's for sure. I borrowed it off a mate but never got off disc 1. I have it on epsxe so maybe I should play that instead of pokemon while I'm at work since it's widely considered to be the best FF.

6. It is better than Final Fantasy X, so you will love it. That is if you can get past the ageing graphics. The story, characters, setting and music are one of the best in the series.

7. I doubt it. But I'll keep an open mind.

8. Trust me. I have played both games to death since they were released and X's story, music and characters pail compared to VII.

But then again it is down to each individuals mind. I would go in with an open mind and play it until the end. Did you miss out on playing VIII and IX too?

9. Wakka's voice is reason enough for FFX not being the best in the series.

10. It was well documented in the original forum that X is my fave, followed closely by VIII. I got IX on my emulator and stopped playing some way through disc 2, that game is utter garbage in all respects. Just like XII.

11. There is something wrong with you my boy, IX was fantastic while VIII was poor and FAR too easy.

12. I think you're missing one other important reason...

Armadeadn, VII is much closer to VIII. IX was a total departure from those 2, but one which I enjoyed much more than VIII.

13. Final Fantasy VIII is still a good game, but not as good as VII and IX.

Jog on! IX is awesome. You must hate the art style? The first time I played XII I hated it, but the second time I restarted I loved it.

14. We all know Armadeadn has a decidedly suspect taste in games.

15. FFIX was Squares way to get back to the Final Fantasy's of old.

16. Maybe that was a mistake then. I hated it. It had the worst mini game of all time, the bastardised version of Triple Triad from VIII which required nothing but luck to win and was an insult to Triple Triad. The story was boring, you didn't get eidolons (stupid name) 'til disc 2, that prick in the suit of armour was just plain retarded and I'm not fond of playing a midgets with huge bobbleheads, it's ok on VII but for some reason it's gay on IX. just like when I was playing XII I kept telling myself "It's going to get better". It never did. Hated it.

@Phisix. Yeah that laughing bit was particularly cringe worthy but hey, it made up for it with this:

Whew! That almost had me going! Even after all these years.

17. Eidolons were actually first in FFIV. Used in XIII too I think. IX is one of the best Final Fantasy's so nothing is wrong with it. I like Steiner, he is funny as hell.

18. Each to his own I guess.
    I'm surprised no-one's mentioned Resident Evil, Tomb Raider or World of Warcraft yet. Surely they're worthy of going on the list?

19. Tomb Raider was nothing influential I think. It was just a platformer with shooter. Resident Evil was the turning point in the horror genre and WOW was indeed influential for all future MMO's after it,

20. It was also the only series of games to be awarded 10/10 for every instalment by the Official UK Playstation Magazine. It was pretty significant as it definitely helped with PS1 sales which must have had an impact on the world of gaming. Remember, in the mid-late '90s Tomb Raider was MASSIVE.

From wikipedia: