Thread Derailing Douchebags argue about OS 10!

Discussion in 'monkeyCage' started by alterego, Jul 13, 2012.

1. Personally, I think it's confusing for the dot releases to have their own individual names, especially when it's as incremental as 4.0 to 4.1...and why not at least something that still relates to ice cream?

2. 10.0 Cheetah
    10.1 Puma
    10.2 Jaguar
    10.3 Panther
    10.4 Tiger
    10.5 Leopard
    10.6 Snow Leopard
    10.7 Lion
    10.8 Mountain Lion

It is no different to what Apple do but instead of big cats they have chosen to use desserts. You only get a full number release when something big changes, minor changes are incremental and it is the same with most software. Adobe are another example, flash and acrobat/reader get incremental updates all the time and only change numbers when something big changes.

Web browsers seem to have gone into full number update mode but I think that is because there is so much competition now. Every little update gets a full number release these days in Chrome and Firefox and them come about every couple of months, or so it seems.

I wonder if Apple have started working on OS 11 as they only have a single dot release left unless they go 10.91, 10.92 etc. I guess Mac OS works well as it hasn't had a massive overhaul since X was released but they got to do something as when 10.9 has come and gone and people see the number 11 they are going to want big changes. No one wants to go up a whole number and only see tiny changes.

3. So you people (mostly khaid) convinced me to order a Galaxy Nexus. I hope Walmart takes the old phone back.

What’s the best way to get a service plan? Google didn’t offer one.

4. What's a service plan? If your phone is unlocked, just get whatever sim only deal from any network. I don't think google is a network provider

5. Nah I meant like a "I broke my phone now fix it" plan.

6. All phones have at least a one year manufacturers warranty. So you don't really need to buy one from the retailer

7. Manufactures don't cover anything but defects. I want a warranty for cracked screens and what not. I spent $40 for my current one and it covers everything except loss and theft.

8. I never got a third party service plan before so I can't really suggest/vouch for any.

9. Give me a break. OS X is the name of the operating system. That's the reason the "10" is repeated. It could just as easily be OS X 1.0, OS X 2.0, OS X 3.0...similar to iOS. If OS X were like Android, then they'd be putting a new cat name on 10.1.1, 10.1.2, 10.1.3 etc.

10. your red and meaty colors are showing Macinbro. I don't know if your saying there IS 10.1.x and so on upgrades and... I don't really care. Your argument is just assinine since Grim there showed you up lol. But yeah, either way you have a point, Apple and Google (and Windows 7 actually being Windows 6.5... so is Windows 8 actually Windows 7??) name their upgrades to be cute. There is no relevance.

11. What the hell are you talking about? Yes OS X is the OS name but the .8 is the revision it is currently on. Just like OS 9 had 9.0, 9.1 and 9.2. Each new number after the . is just an updated revision of the same OS. Like I said with all software this will often be the case, they will only go up a full number when something big changes. Adobe Acrobat is currently at version 10.1.3 which is a revision update of 10.0 which was a full update/upgrade from version 9.x. McAfee Virus Scan Enterprise hasn't seen any major changes and has been on version 8 for years but revision 8.8 replaced 8.7 in 2011 which replaced 8.5 sometime before.

I work in IT, I see different versions numbers all day long, it is normal, everyone does it not just Google.

Think of a full number as a new version and anything inbetween as a new revision.

Firmware versions also follow this pattern, moving to .x revisions you normally won't notice much difference, it will likely be bug fixes and little tweaks. Dell recently updated the firmware on its switches from version 3.x to 4.x which included a massive GUI update. Before that all revisions were just 3.x revisions.

Why the hell you got so upset about something you obviously have little understanding of is beyond me. I didn't even say a bad word about Apple, you really do have issues, you have to defend Apple even when there is nothing to defend. For Christmas I am going to get you a full white outfit with nothing but Apple logo's on it so that when people see you they think your an Apple product.

12. This: 10.7 is the same thing as OS X 7.0 (10.0 wasn't a commercial release).

For example, do you really believe that OS 9 was a totally new revamp of the Mac OS? No, it was the new version number of the old non-UNIX version of the Mac OS. When they made the switch to a UNIX based OS, Apple made the decision to keep OS X as the brand name (just like "Windows" is a brand name), rather than do OS XI, XII, XIII etc.

So, in reality, Apple has only given names to version numbers of OS X, not dot releases.

Android, on the other hand, mixes and matches. Sometimes the name change is related to a version number (Ice Cream Sandwich = 4.0, Honeycomb = 3.0), but sometimes the name change is merely a dot release (Jellybean = 4.1, Froyo = 2.2, Gingerbread = 2.3).

13. Windows has version numbers, Win7 is 6.1 an updated version of 6.0 that was Vista. Built on the same 'technology's just with updates to resolve issues people had with 6.0. XP was 5.1, Vista was a big change from 5.x and so got a new version number. I think Windows 8 is 6.2 but could be wrong.

Jelly bean (4.1) is built on ICS (4.0) and so belongs in the version 4.x family. ICS was a massive upgrade to Gingerbread (3.2) which was an update built on froyo (3.1) and 3.0 before it and so the 3.x version became redundant.

O and 10.0 was a release it was called Cheetah.

You can find the 10.x revision inside the OS.

[​IMG]

14. They are code names for releases, just as Apple have been doing with OS X these code names now play a minor role in distinguishing the OS versions with the consumers, also. This is not something that traditionally happens. A release can be a major release changing the whole number, or a incremental release, changing the first number after the decimal place. Anything after the second decimal is a fix or patch.

There is no difference between what Google do with Android and what Apple do with OS X. Apple are simply sticking with v 10 because they have made a name around OS X (the X sounds cool, and calling an OS just OS *number* was a pretty bland and dated idea) and because they haven't felt the need to do a large overhaul or couldn't justify the changes they have made as a large overhaul.

There was a hiccup in Android release numbers because of tablets. 3.0 needed to be distinguished from 2.x, as did 4.0 from 3.x. Now things are back on track. Nothing has changed though, all releases whether major or incremental revisions get names, so how is naming the releases confusing anyone? Are you trying to say that only major releases should get names? Even discounting the fact that at least for now the first number for OS X no longer changes, many of the incremental revisions have been pretty minor and VERY comparable to Androids incremental revisions, yet they got names. Quit the double standards please.

15. No kidding. But that's merely a technicality. OS 8 and OS 9 were both released within two years of Steve Jobs returning to Apple. Those are two different versions based on the old Mac OS, just like Windows 95, 98, and XP are three different versions of Windows. Do you really think that OS X is still on the same version in 2012 that it was in 2001 simply because the numbering used still has a 10.x in it? It's obvious that's not the case. The "10" stands for OS X, and the number following is the version number. Apple had 9 different versions of the original Mac OS from 1984 to 1999, and they release a new version of iOS annually...but you think OS X hasn't really changed versions in over 10 years? That's not a credible stance for someone with a tech background.

Google has just done some clever marketing with Android. Mixing and matching new OS names with both version releases and also dot releases gets more tech press coverage and hype for their product. People went on and on about Froyo and Gingerbread, and yet they were simply dot releases for the 2.0 version of the Android OS.

16. Android is the only commercial OS that I can think of that markets dot releases of a software version with a new name. That's what makes it confusing. If you do a web search for "Jellybean 5.0", you get all sorts of tech articles that thought Jellybean would be a new version of Android instead of a dot release. That's not the case with Apple, where it's clearly understood that the new name represents the latest version of OS X. There's no "whoops, Mountain Lion turned out to be 10.7.5, not 10.8".

17. Windows NT 5.0 = Windows 2000
    Windows NT 5.1 = Windows XP
    Windows NT 5.2 = Server 2003

Windows NT 6.0 = Windows Vista
    Windows NT 6.1 = Windows 7
    Windows NT 6.2 = Windows 8

Ubuntu 10.04 = Lucid Lynx
    Ubuntu 10.10 = Maverick Meercat

Ubuntu 11.04 = Natty Narwhal
    Ubuntu 11.10 = Oneiric Ocelot

Mac OS X 10.7 = Lion
    Mac OS X 10.8 = Mountain Lion

18. Again, you're simply playing games here. "10" = OS X, not version 10.

19. Cheetah
    [​IMG]

Panther
    [​IMG]

Mountain Lion
    [​IMG]

20. Again, it's obvious that's only a technicality.

The old Mac OS has 9 versions: 1.x - 9.x. OS X was not a continuation of the old Mac OS. It was based on NeXT Step, which was based on UNIX. OS X literally had to include Rosetta in order to run legacy applications from the old OS since the two operating systems were so fundamentally different. Thus, despite the fact that Apple continued the technical numbering at 10.x, "10" obviously doesn't represent a version number, since 1 - 9 relates to the non UNIX OS. It's the .x that's the version number.