US may start censoring the internet (SOPA)

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by cmdrmonkey, Nov 16, 2011.

1. A counter-proposal has been made to SOPA that would have the International Trade Commission involved...

2. Seems fair.

3. Looks like the alternative bill Alterego mentioned is coming together. It's called OPEN. Sounds much more reasonable. Counters piracy (probably in a more effective way too since it's an international problem), but doesn't crap all over peoples' constitutional rights or give the US government police state powers to censor the internet.

4. Yep, the flaws that SOPA creates in terms of internet security continue to seem like the most likely reason that the bill might not pass Congress...

5. Godaddy says it no longer supports SOPA after something like 50,000 websites dropped them in two days. I don't like their flip floppy attitude. PVC is registered with godaddy. I think we'll be looking for someone else.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2011/12/victory-boycott-forces-godaddy-to-drop-its-support-for-sopa.ars

6. I went with them because they were $1.99 the first time around. So, I don't see a problem with switches because I have to renew at full price.

The thing is I went with the privacy guard to protect myself for you stalkers. I believe how that works is GoDaddy owns the domain, on my behalf, but they still technically own the domain.

I can still look into getting it transferred. Any suggestions?

7. I think Godaddy is still flip flopping on their stance even after they said that.. scumbags.

8. http://www.namecheap.com/

4.99 domain transfer.

Use coupon code SWITCH2NC for $1 off.

Voted best domain register by lifehacker, and this way we don't support fascists who want to end freedom of speech.

I already didn't like godaddy. They have tacky, Joe Sixpack targeted commercials that come on during football games, and their president likes to go elephant hunting in Africa to prove what a badass he is.

9. Godaddy are bunch of motherfuckers. Apparently leaving may not be so easy.

Also, Wikipedia just dumped Godaddy, so it's not like it's just little guys like us who are bailing on them.

10. They sound like they share the ethics and core values of corporate bankers and oil executives. Which is to say none to speak of as far as I can tell.

11. So I moved this domain out of Godaddy to NameCheap today. There could be a brief moment of downtime I presume, when I have to change the nameserver.

Not only do we not support this fascist legislation, the new place was $13 cheaper.

12. Cheap and good for democracy. I like it.

13. Evidently yesterday was Dump GoDaddy Day. Sounds awesome.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/web/december-29-is-dump-godaddy-day/

Evidently GoDaddy has decided to counter the boycott with...a naked Danica Patrick?!?

[​IMG]

Does a picture of a naked, hot race car driver improve your opinion of GoDaddy?

14. As far as I know, most dudebros and nascar dads don't run websites, so I'm not sure who they're trying to appeal to with their ads.

Also, Danica Patrick is very average looking. If she weren't a race car driver, no one would find her all that hot.

woof
    [​IMG]

15. GoDaddy evidently paid $242,600 to put that full-page ad in USA Today.

http://domaingang.com/domain-news/danica-patricks-legs-priced-at-242600-and-what-godaddy-did-with-them/

16. Namecheap had this to say:

How many domains does godaddy even have? I can't believe they can keep losing domains by the tens of thousands like this and stay in business.

Also, Anonymous has declared war on Godaddy, so shit just got real.

17. That isn't naked. There is a big sign in front of her. Either way, if GoDaddy wants my extra $13 dollars, she will need to sit naked on my cock.

18. I've never understood godaddy's advertising. You would swear they were selling beer. They have women in bikinis and they come on during WWE matches and football games. Just seems like a total mismatch with the geeks who use their service.

19. That's convenient for their ego's. Declare war on a service that already had tens of thousands of users leaving it without Anonymous being involved. Anonymous just seems to be floundering about these days.

Writing code doesn't make you an intellectual any more than throwing a football does.

20. Yes, because lots of intellectuals and people who run websites watch the WWE. Their commercials are for stupid dudebros who wouldn't know a domain registrar from their asses.

Like this kind of shit:

Clearly targeted at the Spike TV dudebro demographic. I feel embarrassed having a domain registered with these people.