What Games Are You Playing?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Phisix, Jan 24, 2011.

1. I just got Battlefield 1 and all the DLC on Origin for $9.89. :D Its downloading now.

I'm going to need to upgrade my available storage in my PC. I'm on a 250GB SDD for OS and games, and a 2TB sloooooooow 5400rpm hard drive for archiving movies, photos, etc. Games are starting to take up more space than I can handle.

2. Although I didn't play it much, Battlefiled 1 was a really good game. They managed to put some fun back to the franchise.

3. Battlefield V is out soon as well.

4. Half-Life

With the 20th anniversary of this game approaching in a month, I've decided I'm going to go back and play this after all of these years. I'm going to play the 1998 version. Source is glitchy. Black Mesa is unfinished. Will report back on how well it has held up 20 years on.

5. You should play HL2 and the episodes straight and see how different they are to HL1 and how those two hold up as well after.

6. #1466 cmdrmonkey, Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    I think I may just do a whole run through - HL, Opp For, Blue Shift, HL2, Ep1, Ep2

Might also play the Portal games since they are technically a side story in the same universe. I actually never finished Portal 2.

I have a hankering for some Half-Life and modern games just aren't doing it for me at the moment

7. You should create a lets play HL thread and keep us updated on your progress and thoughts and stuff as well as screenshots.

Would be pretty cool that.

8. #1468 cmdrmonkey, Sep 21, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
    I'm about 4 hours in. The graphics are dated, but the gameplay still holds up. I had forgotten how much platforming this game has, even before you reach the Xen area. The game starts off a bit slow, but it gets a lot more fun once you encounter the Marines. The firefights with them are fun. I'm playing the 1998 version, but it got a graphical bump from some texture packs that came with Blue Shift. It has also been updated to support widescreen resolutions. I was surprised that the game has no issues running at 2560 x 1440. It has pretty good art direction, which makes up for the dated graphics. It's not as bad looking as I was thinking it would be. This is still an immersive and fun game even 20 years on.

9. I've been playing Subnautica again. I've gotten a lot of playtime out of this game. I would say it's worth the $25, and a steal if you can get it on sale.

10. Divinity Original Sin Enhanced Edition

I almost quit playing after the first few hours. Skill and inventory management are both complicated and time intensive. The game also has a weak start with lots of searching trying to figure out what needs to be done. The game gets better but it's still pretty complicated. I imagine that it would take 2 play throughs to master the combat system.

11. #1471 cmdrmonkey, Nov 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    Witcher 3

I picked up the expansions. Really liked this game when I played it a few years ago. I was surprised by how much I ended up liking it as I really didn't like the two previous games in the series. But I just never had time to finish it.

12. As good as the game is I'd say the expansion are even better and they add another 30 hours to the game.

13. #1473 cmdrmonkey, Nov 17, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2018
    Warframe

Pretty cool so far. It's a loot hording multiplayer RPG with hoverboard riding space ninjas. I've never played anything quite like it. It's F2P but it doesn't seem like you actually have to buy anything to have a decent time with it.

14. I was thinking of giving The Division another try. It was a mess around launch but I've heard very consistently that Ubisoft massively overhauled the game and it's supposed to be pretty good now. There's also supposed to be another Division game coming out next year.

15. Yeah The Division 2. Its bringing raids and stuff this time so you might as wait for that unless you really want to play 1.

16. it's still mainly the same stuff that you didn't want to do though. the core game is the same, they just redid some balancing tweaks and added some game modes. you still have to group up for most end game activities. you can do solo survival mode though. that was a dlc game mode that had survival mechanics where you start with no equipment and try to survive the elements and escape through the dark zone

17. Survival was far and away the best part of The Division. I was very impressed how they repurposed and adjusted things to suit this type of mode. It is also reasonably challenging, although I've played it quite a bit and usually fare quite well now. But you never now where you will start and what is around the corner. You can also get a ton of gear if you play well enough. I have escaped with 6 Survival caches plus score bonuses. I have to stop and sell loot multiple times just to open them all because the gear floods my inventory. Also, the enemy you have to fight at the end is quite awesome. I actually mistook one of them as a player the first time I saw them. Rather than make the toughest enemy a tanky bullet sponge, they gave them very good AI and abilities. They added random invasions by this same enemy in the Underground DLC (reminiscent of The Stalker and other assassins in Warframe), which was easily the best thing to ever happen to Underground.

18. #1478 cmdrmonkey, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2018
    Deus Ex Mankind Divided

They really seem to want you to play this as a cover based stealth game. The weapons and augments don't seem very useful. Actually the biggest problem with the guns is that for some strange reason you almost never have any ammo for them.

19. I bought Artifact to try it out. If you like TCGs, it is actually more fun than reviews would let you believe. The game mechanics work really well, and I have enjoyed it so far in the short time I've played it.

The problem is the progression based on money spent. You absolutely cannot get cards for free. You must buy packs or buy event tickets to win singles. It is trying to model itself after paper MTG, but I doubt that it will translate well to the digital space. Even MTG Arena offers ways to earn free cards and card packs, because without the satisfaction of holding something physical, the paper model doesn't work. I think this will be the biggest hurdle for the game, not only is it the only card game you must pay to buy, but you also must pay to progress on top of that. I might have different feelings if the game had been free-to-play, but having to spend $20 for a game, then $2 a pack to play a lottery, its going to be difficult to stick with the game. You don't even get to use the cards in the starter decks to build your own decks. Your card pool is limited to whatever you have pulled from packs.

It is really a shame, because the game is actually fun and different enough from other trading card games to feel fresh, but unless they change the progression system away from being exclusively a paid system, I don't see any longevity for casual players.

20. Still playing DXMD. The first level of this game was so boring that it took me multiple attempts to get into it. The game does seem to get a lot better once you get to Prague. It's a really nice hub city with a lot to do.