What Games Have You Bought Recently?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by monsly, Jan 24, 2011.

1. I've been playing Death Stranding this weekend and have found it to be an enjoyable and immersive experience. It definitely has its own world to learn about and explore that is quite odd and includes weird jargon and culture, but most has been adequately explained to navigate the missions without a problem. The environments are probably the most impressive I've ever seen on a console. I'm not ready to crown this game the graphics king yet over Horizon given DS doesn't have to also deal with battling huge mech dinosaurs. HDR provides a pretty significant upgrade over what most have seen in SDR trailers. The basic feel of the game does indeed emphasize primarily exploration and transporting goods. A major component that gets you hooked is the online aspect. You'll encounter more and more structures constructed by other players. Sometimes you find lost packages that you can deliver, and you can donate your supplies and gear to other random players or entrust deliveries of stuff you find to other players. I think it's also possible to contribute to building or repairing things other players are building. The helpful nature of finding bridges or other structures encourages you to be generous towards others. There seems to be a very good but unsurprisingly convoluted (Kojima) story, although some of that is found in the form copious amounts of interviews and lore to listen to or read not unlike Nier: Automata. The trademark Kojima weirdness appears in weapons laced with bodily fluids (scat grenades, for example), connections between other realms/ dimensions, and Lea Seydoux gobbling down a mystical grub for nutrients and healing. Acting is superb as would be expected with a cast like this. My early impression is this is the type of game for the type of person who has a history of getting lost just wandering around and exploring a gigantic Bethesda RPG instead of sticking to the main story, something I tend to do just about every time. It's not as unstructured as No Man's Sky, but it's also definitely not about shooting and blowing stuff up and killing bosses all game. I'd strongly recommend playing on the Pro on a high end TV. If it was 60 fps or higher, it could definitely be mistaken at a glace for a PC game.

2. Black Friday impulse spending, mostly between $8 to $15 each other than the big graphics card purchase.

Best Buy:
    Yakuza 6: Song of Life Essense of Art Edition (only $15)
    Yakuza Kiwami
    Concrete Genie

Amazon
    Shenmue 1 & 2
    Killzone: Shadow Fall (used)

Steam:
    A Plague Tale: Innocence
    Quake II ($1.50)

Included w/ RTX 2080S:
    Modern Warfare

I kept my eye on Seikro and RE2 for PC, but Seikro didn't drop much below $40 and I think there will eventually be a RE2 Steam deal that includes all the DLC for super cheap. I'm going to wait on those.

I also picked up a few very cheap 4K Blu-rays:
    Ready Player One
    The Life of Pi
    The Revenant

3. Have you made any more dreams?

4. Haven't had time, unfortunately. You really need to put in a lot of time to learn how things work

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

5. That's what I though. The game looks really interesting but I wouldn't have the time to learn it.

6. I got a Nintendo Switch and got Super Mario Party, Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, and Starlink: Battle for Atlas.

7. #808 AKS, Mar 31, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2020
    I bought Metro: Exodus on a Steam sale w/ the DLC for $30, but it has such a wackadoodle gamma setting I can't even see what's going on with the blacks being so crushed. I'm wondering if I need to play this on an HDR display to even know what's happening in the dark areas.

EDIT: I've got the gamma somewhat under control, although I still don't think it's exactly as it should be. You basically need to completely ignore the guidelines the game tells you regarding adjusting it and just adjust via trial and error until you can see things properly. It's an effects heavy game, so it's hard to fully capture how impressive it can look with a static image. I have the older version of DLSS on, which isn't nearly as impressive as the new DLSS 2.0 but ensures it can run at a decent frame rate with the ray tracing and other settings cranked.

[​IMG]

8. Control finally went on sale on the Epic store. I had planned to wait until August to get it on Steam, but the discount to $38 and the DLSS 2.0 update persuaded me. This is the first game to really impress me with ray tracing. Metro Exodus looks incredible, but it still looks incredible without ray tracing. It's everywhere in Control. Reflections in glass have never looked remotely close to this level of accuracy and detail. I had been playing the Pro version, and I think Remedy did a good job with that version, but this is one of the biggest disparities between PC and console versions of a multiplatform game that I've seen in quite awhile. I've got the settings cranked up thanks to the DLSS 2.0 update. It's been a really solid game so far. I'm a fan of Remedy, and this seems to be one of their best games.

9. That shot looks really good. You playing that on a 4k TV? I didn't notice any issues with the blacks but I was using a VA panel and I always put the gamma a little higher than recommended. The result is usually pretty good contrast.

10. It's on a 1440p 144Hz Gsync monitor. I am plan to buy the new 48 inch OLED from LG with HDMI 2.1 features to use upstairs next to my PC when I find it on sale down the road so I can easily swap over to 4K/ HDR for graphically intensive games. Control and Metro Exodus seem to have the best RTX features so far.

11. Are you running the game at 1080p and then using DLSS to upscale to 1440p?

12. DLSS is on, yeah. I could have turned it off for a photo, but I wanted to accurately represent how it looks, although there is no way to do it justice with a static image regarding all of the effects. DLSS 2.0 in Control actually looks as good as native. Hopefully support for this is added to Metro. It would really look extraordinary but still run at decent frame rate.

13. I’m already up to about 60 games on the Switch - mostly the smaller store ones but quite a few ‘full’ games. I have to say I really regret not getting one sooner - such a good console. Fantastic for local multiplayer and the handheld mode is amazing; I’d never have played Civ 6 as much without that.

Currently playing Animal Crossing with the family and it’s a really nice experience. A lovely escape from the fear of creeping death and impending doom outside.

14. Isn't there a major gripe about Animal Crossing only allowing one island per console?

15. Don’t know - I’m ok with it, wasn’t sure at first but the communal feel works well with a single island. My main gripe is that only one islander can do certain things. That and the clunkiness of some things like online and certain repeated dialogue. Could do with being snappier but it’s a lovely game to escape into and fuck knows that’s useful now.

16. I might be escaping too much into Divinity Original Sin II. It's been about 10 years since I've had this much spare time to play games.

17. Bought a lot of games recently:

Final fantasy 7 Remake
    Resident Evil 3( So short completed it the first day)
    Assassins Creed: Odyssey
    Snooker 19
    The Golf Club(on deal for £2.49 It's a decent golf game)

18. The wife just got ff7 remake. I might give a go as I never played the original.

• like like x 1
    • meh meh x 1
  19. The Red Strings Club

This one caught my eye and the Steam reviews are good. It's a retro, pixel art, cyber punk, story driven game.