What Games Have You Bought Recently?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by monsly, Jan 24, 2011.

1. This game by that weird dude who makes weird stuff?

2. Dreams is on sale for $30, so I just decided to buy it. It has VR support and is apparently getting PS5 support next, so I might as well buy it for a discount now.

3. Red Dead Redemption 2

I haven't played enough yet to have much of an opinion. I'm hoping it isn't too much of a life simulator.

4. Super Mario Odyssey's

My work is making me go to Georgia for a week. I plan to spend all my free time locked up in the hotel room huffing Lysol and playing this.

5. It is a good game but I am not going to pretend I didn't prefer the variety of Galaxy 1 and 2, Odyssey felt a bit small.

6. I finally pulled the trigger on pre-ordering CyberPunk 2077 for PC. It's only $40 on cdkeys currently. I think it's just a "Daily Deal," so you'd have to get it now for that price. It's the worldwide version but it's also on GOG, so I'll have to make one more of these distribution service accounts, hopefully the last one for quite awhile.

7. I noticed there are plenty of debates going around about the best Mario adventure game. Since I've only played a small portion of Super Mario 64 on the DS I don't have much of an opinion on the matter. The story of Odyssey's does seem a little thin and disconjointed, but I assume that's the same for every Mario game.

8. I almost got the same deal but I kept thinking about Fallout 76 and how glad I was that I didn't pre-order that.

10. Death Stranding
    Control
    Doom Eternal with expansions

11. I thought you already had Doom Eternal.

12. #852 cmdrmonkey, Nov 28, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    I had a shitty Bethesda launcher copy. I bought it for the Bethesda launcher through a key reseller by mistake. I had no idea it was even still a thing as I thought Bethesda had abandoned it and was moving back to Steam. I guess that’s true, but they are still selling some Bethesda launcher copies for now. I bought it again on Steam with the expansions while it's on sale.

The Bethesda launcher is awful. It's so barren. No achievements. No way to talk to friends or see what they're playing. They don't offer refunds if you buy through the storefront there. Clicking on things usually just opens a webpage. It's not much better than pirating the game really. It's basically where Steam was in like 2004.

13. Welp, I bought Doom Eternal Deluxe Edition and Elder Scrolls Online.

14. Cyberpunk 2077

I got key for cheap but I don't plan on playing right away.

15. I'm tempted to preorder this game at only $40.

It's looking very impressive. If you buy the PS4 version, you get the upgrade to the PS5 version automatically.

I'm assuming it's going to be a smaller game in duration similar to Hellblade, which is fine by me because those times of games are often quite good. It looks like it was influenced by many games I like, and the artistry is exceptional.

16. Far Cry New Dawn
    Life is Strange 2
    G.I. Joe: Operation Blackout
    Luigi's Mansion 3

17. Little Nightmares
    Cloudpunk

18. I picked up Demon's Souls on sale for PS5. I have the platinum trophy for the original PS3 version and have been curious to see Bluepoint's adaptation. It's a remarkable adaptation of a PS3 game to modern hardware, but it doesn't feel quite as much of a showcase for the hardware that Returnal was and soon Ratchet looks like it's going to be the main showpiece for the PS5 hardware.

I did struggle a bit more than expected starting out and didn't remember the Tower Knight having such a huge AoE blast radius from the shield that managed to catch me a couple of times, but it has been quite a span of time since I played this game. I've taken down most of the *-1 bosses now but wasn't able to outlast the Flamelurker on my first attempt. I think I need a bit more health and stamina for that one. I only have a bit of health left after one attack, and even blocked hits do some damage given he does all types of damage that I believe include fire and magic damage. I'm very impressed with the artistry (other than facial animations, which aren't so great), and 60 fps is definitely a more enjoyable experience. I would have liked them to make a few adjustments and tone down the weight limit nonsense but at least in this version you have the option to send it to storage rather than just be stuck trying to figure out what to drop to pick up valuable treasure in a game you cannot pause and can be invaded by other players. Some elements have definitely aged a bit, but overall it's quite impressive and should still be considered one of the best PS5 games even with the antiquated aspects of the game. It's kind of hilarious 2 of the 3 main PS5-exclusive games I can think of are so difficult, Demon's Souls and Returnal. Casual players are probably feeling desperate to get a game like Ratchet and Clank that won't lead them to break any more pricey DualSense controllers in frustration.

19. One of the PS+ game this month is the Plague Tale for PS5, and I bought the PS5 version of the Fallen Order Star Wars game for ~$13. Not bad considering new games cost $70. The PS5 version of Fallen Order is quite smooth and seemed to very rarely dip below 60 fps. Loading up seemed to be pretty quick, maybe a bit over 10 seconds to start it up. That's slow compared to ground up PS5 games like Ratchet or Returnal, but it's a remarkable improvement in loading time and certainly frame rate on previous generation hardware that struggled to even run it.

20. I ended up impulse buying Deathloop on PS5 for $54 after frankly having minimal interest and ignoring it most of the time. I've only played a bit of it given it just came out yesterday, but I have very positive initial impressions and think it has the potential to be one of the best games I've played this year depending how the rest of the game plays out. I am genuinely surprised at how smooth the performance mode is and how good this game looks in that mode. Rather than the "targeting 60 fps" business you often see with console games, it is pretty much locked at 60. It's in the 1200p to 1440p-ish range with dynamic resolution most of the time, but the impressive artistry and incredibly vivid colors still look fantastic. Don't even bother with the other graphics modes; the ray tracing mode felt awful, and the visuals mode needs VRR support added to even be considered.

The game has a very stylish and comedic tone and lets you do plenty of exploring for a shooter. The voice acting has been excellent so far. The haptic feedback implementation is well above average. Sound is also pretty solid with the exception of some weirdness with the character dialogue acting strange spatially. Guns feel pretty good with the exception of the PoS bottom tier SMG that jams constantly, which I think was intentionally made to be an awful starter weapon you are eager to replace as soon as possible.