What Games Have You Bought Recently?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by monsly, Jan 24, 2011.

1. The large pool of VRAM was a major draw of the 6900XT, which doubled my VRAM from 8GB (which was giving me problems in some games) with the 2080 Super to 16GB with the 6900XT. I'm watching for MSRP on the 7900 XTX Nitro, which would boost me up to 24GB. I probably don't NEED 24GB, but overkill allows me to pretty much forget about that issue entirely. I run a fairly high resolution, up to +7 million pixels with ultrawidescreen, so VRAM demands can get pretty steep.

2. last of us part one on pc launched yesterday and got review bombed on steam and rightfully so.

it’s like they released it untested. all sorts of problems from performance issues to crashing making it unplayable. i’m part of the crashing crew. crashes almost every 10 minutes

3. #903 cmdrmonkey, Mar 29, 2023
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2023
    Got some more Switch games to play with my son:

-Super Mario 3D World and Bowser's Fury
    -New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe
    -Among Us
    -Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
    -Zelda Link's Awakening

I also got the DLC for Mario Kart 8. The new courses it comes with are awesome.

I got a Samsung 512GB MicroSD for the Switch because the 128GB one the Costco bundle came with was full.

I'm enjoying the Switch more than I thought I would. It's a cool system. Love the portability. Love that it’s dead silent when docked and running as a home console.

Oh and I also grabbed a 65” Sony OLED (XR65A80CK) from Costco. That’s what we’ve been playing on. Looks great.

4. I've decided to give Nintendo another chance and bought the Tears of the Kingdom Edition Switch OLED. Quite a load of BS not to include the game, but oh, well. I didn't play my WiiU much, including Breath of the Wild, but I'm probably going to give it a second try. Besides frequently becoming irritated that everything constantly breaks, there were also a ton of incredible games coming out when BotW released, and I never got back into it.

Where is the best place to acquire Switch-compatible memory? I'd rather not be gouged again already after getting hosed by this shady business of not including the TotK game with a TotK Edition machine. I've read that's kind of the norm for Switch, too.

5. #905 cmdrmonkey, May 14, 2023
    Last edited: May 14, 2023
    I’m using a 512GB Samsung EVO micro SD card in my switch. They can usually be had for $40-50 on Amazon.

Nintendo nickle and dimes you on stuff that should be included. They get away with it because they’re selling the kid friendly system, and they know a lot of parents and grandparents will just pay the Nintendo tax.

6. It looks like the price doubles or triples if you go any higher than 512GB. I grabbed a Samsung Evo Select 512GB card for $44, which oddly has free same-day shipping.

7. I'm contemplating getting Advance Wars™ 1+2: Re-Boot Camp. I liked the DS version, but I also don't pick up the Switch very often.

8. My wife pretty much hijacked our Nintendo Switch. I have stuff I’d like to play on it but it’s pretty much never available, lol

She played through Mario Odyssey, Mario 3D World, and now she’s become addicted to Among Us.

9. I've been enjoying Breath of the Wild a lot more this time on Switch than I did on the WiiU. It seems like it runs noticeably better at this point, and the game doesn't look too bad in docked mode thanks to the excellent artistry, which ages much better than technology. I also bought Portal and Tears. It's very strange to play Portal on a little handheld, but besides the very low settings it runs pretty damn well, mostly around 60 as far as I can tell.

In general, the sound is also much better than I expected from such a small device. Nothing spectacular but I was expecting the audio quality to be quite poor and it isn't.

10. Playing Inscription. It's creepy and hard to put down.

11. I picked up Red Matter 2 for PSVR2, and this has to be one of the most visually impressive VR games I've ever seen. The optimization is exceptional, which may have been a product of originally getting this game running on mobile devices, leaving considerable headroom for more powerful machines such as the PS5. It appears to be running at 120 fps and a very impressive resolution. Extremely smooth and detailed at all times so far. The high frame rate seemed to take it easy on my guts as far as motion sickness problems. I didn't experience issues for at least 3x as long as a typical first-person roaming game. This game is yet another case of a small developer making a lot of the larger studios look inadequate.

12. I finally got my hands on a Tears of the Kingdom Switch Pro controller (or so it seemed until I opened the box and saw the packaging), and it ended up being a cheap counterfeit knockoff, probably from China. The text on the box is Chinese, and the packaging inside is very suspect. Thankfully Amazon is pretty accommodating about returns most of the time.

13. Airships Conquer the Skies

Haven't played it yet.

14. Baldur's Gate 3

22 years after Baldur's Gate 2: Throne of Bhaal, BG3 is released. And after 3 years in early access Beta, I wasn't sure if it was ever getting a final release.

15. The RoboCop game Rogue City is pretty damn good. It's not a pure action game, as you run around the city doing side quests and whatnot. It doesn't seem nearly as complex as something like a Deus Ex game, but it's kinda sort of that type of format. The technology displayed is very impressive, and the game has a sense of humor and is loyal to the original movie. I got it for around $30 in a holiday sale, which was a steal. I'd recommend it from what I've played so far, mostly towards the beginning of the game.