What keyboard do you use?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by cmdrmonkey, Mar 10, 2011.

1. I decided to retire my Corsair Strafe which is 8 years old. It was never as silent as I wanted and some of the keys even rattled. I almost got the Logi G915 TKL but so many reviews said the paint came off the keycaps after a year and there is no way to replace them. That didn't seem right for a $150 keyboard. I was set on getting a TKL (Tenkeyless), but I just couldn't find any that I liked, so I decided to check out custom keyboards. That's when I learned that custom keyboards are one heck of a rabbit hole. I spent a few days researching and decided to go with a pre-built custom. Prebuilds are actually cheaper than DIY because the different components are bought or made in batches which lowers the total price. Anyway, I decided on a board made by Royal Kludge. The switches and keycaps are all hot swappable so it's easy to change the entire design and feel of the keyboard. I planned to replace the switches with something silent like Boba Gums, but I really love the sound of this keyboard with it's pale green tactiles. It's probably the nicest sounding and nicest feeling keyboard I've ever owned. It's made me realize that the Cherry silent reds on my Corsair may have been silent, but the cheap construction of the rest of the board made it loud as heck. Anyway, I suggest anyone wanting a new mechanical to take a look at customs. Mine was only $80 and it came will all the features I need. I'll probably buy a sample pack of switches from Aliexpress. $6 can get you about 15 different switches to try.

[​IMG]

I might also get this set of keycaps. I really like the old retro white with black letters on the main keys.

[​IMG]

2. Dude I went down this rabbit hole during covid. Tried ALOT of keyboards including internet hyped Keychron, the G915, etc. The only one I moderately liked was a super cheap ASUS ROG Strix Scope TKL.

I think life has conditioned me to prefer the ubuquitous free keyboards that you get at work. All the other stuff feels unfamiliar in comparison lol

I think I'm late to the RGB party because I can't get enough and now everyone thinks its tacky.

3. My old fuddy duddy eyes are having problems with contrast and certain RGB keyboards are problematic. That's why I'm going back to solid keycaps.