What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by cmdrmonkey, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Star Wars The Mandalorian

The first episode was weak, but the second episode was quite good. I have no idea. This could be good or bad depending on what direction they go in with it.

2. I watched the first couple of episodes of The Mandalorian. This might be the first content from Disney's (vastly inferior up to this point) version of Star Wars I've truly liked. It looks like the third episode was just released today, so I'll probably watch that when I get home from work. George Lucas was involved in the creation of all 8 episodes according to IMDB.com, and Jon Favreau typically knows what he's doing. This was a huge step up over recent Star Wars content.

3. I think the concept behind the Mandalorian is good. There's a lot you can do with a show about bounty hunting. The second episode about recovering the parts for the ship was excellent. Hopefully the rest of it is as good.

4. I like it. Maybe a little heavy on the bro hug “this is the way” stuff. But I guess that’ll be countered by the baby Yoda saying dada or something.

5. Didn't you use to write in the third person?

6. Correct. However, nowadays ain’t nobody got time for that.

Plus The Rock isn’t on WWE anymore.

7. For old times sake, mizzle wanted to step on the baby Yoda last episode. He is also wondering how everyone in the forum Is doing? Well, he hopes. Everyone happy? Finally got out of the basement when grandma died?

Jk of course, unless... mizzles condolences.

Anyways, speaking of WWE anyone here a fan of the new generation of superstars coming through the ranks? mizzle is generally pleased with their progress but does wish that they (McMahon) would let them (the new superstars) loosen up a bit.

But recent episodes show that they seem open to more edgier content. Even if it still misses the mark. That’s encouraging at least.

8. Holy shit we are all so fucking old now. Rock era WWE is like 98-02.

We have over a dozen lurkers on the forum from the olden days... but as far as posters go, it's the bfun and cmdrmonkey show lol

9. Are you kidding? The rock is from The Attitude Era. I started in the Golden Era and stopped watching during the New Generation Era when the WWF started falling apart due to the bastards at the WCW. I saw Wrestle Mania 1. It was Epic for it's day.

[​IMG]

I was also a fan of the Cartoon.

10. The Rock did have a run as recently as 2012/13 with Cena and CM Punk.

mizzle had a Bruno Sammartino action figure in the 80s. His uncles, who probably gave him the figure, told him that “Wrestling may be fake. But for Bruno, it was real.” The guy hadn’t been in a ring for probably ten years as this was early/mid Hogan but ok.

The great thing about being old is we get to have things like WWE Network (only 9.99, first month free) and are able to easily go back and watch more content than we could ever dream of as kids. So lost or missing years of storylines are really a bunch of dedicated weekends away. Going to finally get a look at peak Bruno, yeah, it kind of was real for him. Seriously, he may be the GOAT.

Add in NJPWs streaming service... mizzle didn’t event know Japan had pro wrestling as a kid. As old millennials and xgen’s (we assume Gripper was the only boomer) it’s fair to say we are very sports entertained. Honestly too much to watch at times. NJPW often falls to the wayside.

We even get a watered down ratings war of sorts with NXT and AEW. Personally, AEW is just ok. They have some nice takes on the old riffs WWE likes to use. But half of them are unknowns and every time pentagon or fenix comes onscreen mizzle gets nostalgic for Lucha Underground.

11. I tried WWE network with the intention of watching all of the old Royal Rumbles starting at the beginning. 1 was crap, 2 was meh which it also happens were the next few and then I got bored and stopped. Thank god I had the first month free.

Nostalgia is a dangerous thing. Good god, I even owned this shit on vinyl!

• like like x 1
  12. Every once in a while I’ll do the whole sat morning superstars and watch some throwback matches. Mostly centered around smackdown 2005-2012. Some day I’ll get through that and RAW of the same timeframe and be mostly caught up. There’s some pre injury Shawn Micheals that I am missing too.

Their original content (non ring stuff) is good if you’re a super duper fan. The Stone Cold and Undertaker interview is an interesting watch for two old timers dropping lingo from the kayfabe era if nothing else.

There’s enough for me to justify the subscription. They have “PPVs” a few times a month as well.

The real money pit for me is NJPW. I think I’ll watch wrestle kingdom for the Moxley Archer death match and then take a look at how much I’m actually watching it and make a decision. It’s very good. There is just no app for me to download so it’s all browser based streaming. It’s an out of sight out of mind type thing. They even have plenty of English announce teams for their shows who are pretty good too. Just put an app on my TV and I’ll probably put it on more. Maybe even buy a T-shirt.

It’s a lot of wrestling too. I watch 5-7 hours weekly of WWE wrestling shows plus whatever of the AEW show I can stand. I think I have a Jericho aversion. Add in a 4-7 hour PPV and a 2 hour Takeover sometimes and that’s a busy week.

13. The BBC did a trio of short dramas over the festive period with a varying degree of success in my opinion.

The War of the Worlds was a total fucking mess, absolutely dreadful all round and wouldn't recommend.

A Christmas Carol was actually really good, a much darker retelling of the story but I felt it should have been 6 episodes instead of 3. The first 2 were fantastic but the 3rd felt like they rushed too much to get it all in.

Dracula was really good up until I would say 1/2 of the way through the final episode. I loved seeing Dracula embrace the modern world in the 3rd episode, the way he went about things was really well done but then it all fell apart towards the end so we ended up with 2 and a half really good episodes out of three.

"Is the fridge the white box?"

"Yeah"

"Bob is in the fridge. It took a bit of folding."

14. #914 cmdrmonkey, Jan 11, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2020
    Rick and Morty S4

The heist episode is one of the best they’ve ever done, up there with Pickle Rick and inter-dimensional cable.

15. Living With Myself

Premise was identical to the Michael Keaton movie Multiplicity. It was an ok idea for a movie but too thin for a TV series.

16. #916 cmdrmonkey, Mar 30, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2020
    Ozark S3

It's basically a mediocre Breaking Bad ripoff crossed with a mediocre Justified ripoff. I keep waiting for it to get better but it doesn't.

17. G.I. Joe

18. #918 cmdrmonkey, Mar 31, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
    Tiger King

This show introduced me to a world of insane tiger breeding rednecks that I never knew existed

• like like x 1
  19. Just finished night 2 of WrestleMania. Yowee wowee!

Empty arena made for some strange moments throughout the two nights. But it really helped the gimmick matches like last man standing. Sometimes the live audience gets bored when the action is back stage or elsewhere. Without their chants and reactions I was left with just the action on screen. It made the stories much more romantic.

The matches that were held in ring, the normal matches, were good... but the women need to stop screaming so much every time something happens. Without the crowd it really stands out. It’s like, damn they just twisting your arm a little. Stop screaming! I got neighbors!

20. I watched the first two episodes of Tiger King. It was interesting, but not super interesting.