What TV Shows Are You Watching?

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by cmdrmonkey, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Can't tell if you're being serious...

No one likes that film, no one. It was so confusing as a kid as it didn't fit in very well with the cartoon, introduction new ideas and characters. At least the first turtles film stuck to the general idea of the cartoon.

2. Good Girls

I can see why it got cancelled. It's trying to be Weeds and Breaking Bad at the same time. But it's not funny like Weeds, and the characters aren't well developed like Breaking Bad.

All it has going for it is Christina Hendricks MILF boobages.

3. Manifest - Not great, but somehow I got hooked.

Titans - I've only seen the first episode but it's better than I expected. This isn't a low budget WB show like the Arrow or Flash. HBO put some resources into it.

4. I think the first season of Titans was the best of the 2.5 seasons I've seen. I was very unhappy with something that happens at the end of S2. But in terms of quality it's way beyond the crappy CW shows. I like that they can get pretty dark and twisted, too.

The only CW show I've ever seen that was actually good was Superman and Lois, although they stretched the first season out a few episodes too long.

5. What I've seen of the upcoming live action version of Cowboy Bebop looks like trash, so I decided to just re-watch the original series. I was surprised how fast the time flies when watching them. I watched the first 6 episodes consecutively before I saw the clock and realized how much time had passed. The powerful moments are still very impactful 20 years later even knowing what will happen. The soundtrack remains one of the best ever. I've listened to the sublime Green Bird track several times while working. I think it is still the best animated series I've seen.

6. What about it looks so horrible? It's been so long since I've watched it I don't remember much about the series.

7. I actually thought they nailed Spike and Jet. Faye seems a bit off but we only have limited still as far as I know.

[​IMG]

8. #1088 AKS, Sep 13, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    Spike is supposed to be 27. This actor might do a great job but he's nearly 50 years old. Maybe he's very athletic and will do well with the fight and action scenes. We'll see, I guess. The suit and hair look pretty good, though. But lots of things I've read have been disturbing. They talked about applying modern day sensibilities (likely political correctness and social justice activism) to the story and really have me questioning if they understand these characters. The lead talked about how being older he's able to be vulnerable and sensitive in a way he couldn't in the past. Spike was one of the most indifferent and apathetic characters you'll ever find and he believed that
    he wasn't really alive and was in a dream.
    What he is describing doesn't seem to fit the character, but perhaps he's talking about a particular relationship. That could fit. I don't know exactly what they're covering in this live action portrayal.

I expected them to make Faye's costume less revealing, which I think is sensible for a live action character, but when I saw the first picture of her in that costume without context I had no idea who that was or that it had anything to do with Cowboy Bebop whereas I can instantly recognize Spike and Jet. And Ein. Faye's costume looks like it could have came from a local mall. She is supposed to be a femme fatale borrowed from the film noir influence of the show. One of her main weapons is seduction, and there are very solid reasons grounded in her traumatic past why she is wild, hedonistic, and unstable. There are real people who gamble, hustle, have unstable relationships, dress in skimpy attire, self-sabotage, drink and smoke, etc., particularly with personality traits seen in individuals with histrionic and borderline personality disorders, and they tend to have traumatic pasts and fear of abandonment very similar to Faye. I've wondered if she Faye's personality is based on a particular individual or individuals with a specific condition. I hope they get that aspect of the character right instead of social justice-ing it up and make her some sort of mega girl power character. Faye also had one of the most powerful backstories that led me to shed a few tears when I saw the conclusion of the episode "Speak Like a Child." I don't have a high degree of confidence they're going to nail these elements.

All the main characters have major flaws and lots of powerful tragic elements to their history. Netflix has a catastrophically poor record for their live action adaptations of manga/ anime, and nothing I've read has been very encouraging. The praise, which is effusive and far beyond what can be justified on what little we know about it, is mainly from social justice websites that cover entertainment topics like ScreenRant and CBR, which is a major red flag for me. There haven't been many situations in which the vast majority of the praise is coming from those trashpile websites and the topic they discussed ended up being good. The comments from them I've read along with the typical race-swapping weirdness has me concerned. I suppose how far they go with it will be most clear if Ed is in the show. I'm expecting this live action version to be awful but I hope it is at least competent.

9. Yeah, I wondered if they'd let her keep the outfit. Too many people would have issues with this today.

[​IMG]

10. #1090 AKS, Sep 13, 2021
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2021
    Yeah, I didn't expect them to keep that exact look nor would that have been a great idea for live action. However, Faye uses her looks and seduction as well as various disguises to catch her bounties. She was flirting with this guy right before she sticks a gun under his chin. One thing I'd add is that she likes to spend her free time sunbathing. Beach bunnies I've met don't dress in head-to-toe 1930s getup when they're not on the beach. People tend to not wear much in beach towns, and I doubt covering up would be a huge concern for Faye.

[​IMG]

Looks more angry Karen than femme fatale. I hope I'm wrong. Maybe she'll do a great job, and perhaps she'll use a lot of disguises and some other looks. But I'm skeptical.
    [​IMG]
    Adding the headband would help quite a bit. Faye almost always wears a headband when she's in her main outfit. It seems like an incredibly easy and inexpensive change that would make her a lot more recognizable as the character.

11. Squid Game

I almost gave up watching it after the first 20 minutes but then pretty much binged watch the whole season in 2 days. I'm not sure why it's so good. The acting seems a bit over done and the production seems cheap. Netflix is predicting it might become their most watched show ever.

12. Korean dramas are like this. lots of over the top acting. it's also probably super popular since a lot of our younger generation aren't familiar with the Japanese battle royale movie from 2000 concepts so this was shocking and fresh for them.

13. Yeah, it wasn't Faye's clothing I meant. At the risk of being not-PC, her body type per the original is more tall/hourglass.

14. #1094 AKS, Oct 7, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2021
    The actress is about the same height as the character Faye (5'5" vs 5'6"), but she does not have the same figure. I don't think that is such a big deal if she can still pull of the femme fatale seductress aspect of the role...but I'm rather skeptical. I've been getting the impression they want to change quite a bit and apply today's activist and political correctness nonsense to it. We'll see in a month. Netflix's record with this type of thing is abysmal.

The only instance I can recall of filmmakers getting manga or anime to live action correct is with Alita: Battle Angel:

Their adaptation and attention to detail reminded me a lot of Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings adaptation in the 2000s. It was so obvious they deeply understood the source materials and even necessary changes for different formats were very much within the spirit of the source materials. I'm not persuaded with just copying the brief intro credits sequence. Let's see the how the actual substantive content holds up in this Cowboy Bebop adaptation.

15. Foundation

On Appletv+ or whatever it’s called. I never read the books but now I want to. This is some good good space sci-fi. Nothing outlandish like Jedi or Thanos, everything is sort of based on science ideas of today cranked to a thousand.

16. I activated my free 6-month trial for AppleTV for buying a PS5. I have watched part of a nature documentary series that is a Planet Earth wannabe and part of the first season of Ted Lasso, which is very good. I'm impressed with the interface, and I noted that even the trailers appear to be in Dolby Vision/ Atmos. The price of $5/ month is very impressive. I may replace CuriositySteam with AppleTV when it expires in a few months. 4K CuriosityStream is overpriced at $10 per month when the vast majority of their content isn't even in 4K.The price for 4K CuriosityStream for just 2 months is the same price as an entire year of standard definition.

I'm planning to check out Foundation, CODA, Defending Jacob, and Servant in the near future.

17. Anybody watching Arcane: League of Legends?

18. See is also surprisingly good. Jason Momoa in a post apocalyptic blind world. It’s funny in spots because you forget they are blind and then they are all “let’s roll out!” and they shuffle off walking into each other tapping their canes.

19. I watched the trailer for See and have it on my watchlist. It seems like it has potential. And I noticed Dutch hottie Luv from Bladerunner 2049 is the evil queen and villain. I was curious how these epic battles were going to look if everyone is blind.

20. The battles do get a bit inventive. It pretty much all makes sense though, given the settings and their blindness.

Also can confirm evil queens continued hotness.