Which internet provider? (UK)

Discussion in 'Technology' started by Armadeadn, Sep 15, 2011.

1. But grim lives in Croydon, where every man and his dog is sucking off a dilapidated piece of copper wire.

2. We have BT fibre active here now, the little green box in my road has been active for months just haven't taken the plunge yet.

3. Well it has been known for a while that O2 didn't have the money to upgrade its BB services to fibre (being Spanish owned didn't help) and now Sky are buying out the landline and BB services. Looks like I will be a Sky BB and call customer now whether I like it or not if the regulator allows it to go through. The only reason I didn't switch before was that I would have lost my free evening calls but it would be a few £'s cheaper on Sky. On one hand I don't want them to take away my free evening calls but on the other I hope they drop my monthly cost to match theirs.

At least if I ever have to call them after this I won't have to pay the ridiculous 0844 prices. Sky actually called me at the weekend to see how I was 'getting on'. I laid into the chap about the £10.50/month HD sub being money for nothing in this day and age and 0844 phone number being a con. He tried to offer me HD for £2.50/month but I said it should have been free, fair enough 7 years ago when HD was new charge but now everything is filmed in HD and it doesn't cost Sky anything to show it, it really is free money for them... I think he regretted being the person who had to call me...

O and Sky will leapfrog Virgin as the UK's second biggest phone/BB supplier if the deal goes through.

4. Who's the biggest? BT?

5. Yep BT is the big 'un.

6. Got an email from O2 with the news, everything says later in the year so I don't expect much to change for a while.

O2/BE have had one if the best if not the best ADSL2+ networks for a long time. Hoping I don't lose some speed when they migrate me.