Why are some youtube videos choppy and slow?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by bfun, Apr 7, 2011.

1. Most work fine but some are choppy and slow. Why is that?

2. Allways wondered that too.

3. Maybe because they site has thousands of people viewing it at once. So it is slowed down a bit. That would seem the most probable theory.

4. That theory would hold true if all videos on the site slowed down at the same time. bfun is talking about one video loading fast and then another loading extremely slow.

5. Yea, even not-popular video's sometimes are choppy, or take forever to load. Switching to another and its all gone, but going back to that video and its slow. Strange mystery.

6. Bad encoding would be my guess.

7. I have a conspiracy theory. Youtube gives priority to some videos for some reasons.

8. Could be something, most of those video's in my experience where low-quality (am watching alot aircraft video's).

9. Surel'y youtube isn't hosted on one signle server. Some videos are hosted on slower servers, slower connections, different locations?

Either that or god is trying to tell you not to watch something. The fucking control freak.

10. Bad encoding. I have to agree to that.
    The way the video's behave, that's most likelly what causes the problem.

11. Apart from net issues, there's a reason for choppy playback in the YouTube architecture:

http://highscalability.com/blog/2008/3/12/youtube-architecture.html