Wii U

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Grim, Jun 8, 2011.

1. RE5 wasn't on Wii. That makes your opinion wrong.

2. How is the Wii-U shit?

3. It's a gimmick in a box. I can't see it providing a substantial gaming experience to rival Microsoft and Sony which is what they need. Within hours of Nintendo unveiling the Wii U their stocks plummeted as investors scrambled to sell off their shares in what looks like a sinking ship of a company.

I don't think the Wii U is going to turn Nintendo's fortune around. There's only so many units that Zelda can help shift.

I for one know that I didn't buy a nice expensive hd tv just to spend half my time looking at it through a 6 inch display while holding my controller/tablet up to it like a retard.

[​IMG]

4. Turn Nintendo's fortunes around? They sold the most console this generation by a huge margin. The DS was a runaway success and the 3DS has really gained momentum. Hardly a company that's been on a low.

5. I will probably get a Wii U simply because I can't help myself. I have seem to have a problem where I have to own the newest consoles, I wasn't going to buy a 360, a Wii or a PS3 at launch but I still ended up with them all on the day.

The worst was the PS3. I got into work, sat here for 30 minutes when my college got in and commented that Gamestation had loads, 5 minutes later I was out the door and 20 minutes later it was set up in the office!

6. What about the Vita then? I'm really on the fence about that one.

7. At the moment I have no intention BUT I do still have a chunk of my Christmas bonus left.

8. Selling consoles is one thing but the majority of revenue comes from software sales and Microsoft and Sony both kick Nintendo into touch on that front.

Would you honestly describe a company that looks like they're going to post their first annual loss in 30 years as "Hardly being on a low"?

http://www.engadget.com/2011/10/27/nintendo-posts-first-half-loss-in-earnings-report-slashes-forec/

Not only could it be their first annual loss but it could be a huge loss. What they thought they'd make in profits they're now predicting they'll lose. Add to that the fact that a load of shareholder bailed as soon as they saw the Wii U and you've got a company that doesn't look all that strong right now.

It doesn't sound like everything's rosy in Nintendo land.

9. Nintendo is in the same position that other console and handheld makers are: the age of buying separate gaming consoles and gaming portables is coming to a close. Conversion devices like smartphones and tablets are quickly making that business model much more of a niche prospect. That doesn't mean that you can't make money from it, but it's going to be less than before.

Personally, I've felt like Nintendo could have cashed in on the smartphone rise by creating games for those platforms that weren't tied to their flagship franchises like Zelda, Mario etc. Reserve the big guns for your own hardware to drive sales, but generate interest and revenue on the other platforms as well.

10. Let's see.. Microsoft is going to move their focus away from games with the 720 and the PS4 will be a no show. It looks like the Wii U will be a success by default. I just hope that Nintendo switches their focus away from those damn party games.

11. Buh? What makes you say that?

12. Reports are that someone isn't making another console. We already know about the Wii U and M$ have been hinting at something for a while so that only leaves Sony who have said there will be no PS4 at E3.

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Gaikai-Sony-PlayStation-Microsoft-Nintendo,news-13858.html

13. @arma: yeah, Nintendo don't make much from selling software, I'll give you that. They need to become the world's biggest selling publisher or something. The wii only has something like 7 of the top 10 selling games this gen. The very fact Sony and MS have followed their path shows how badly they've got it wrong. Will those crazy gamecube punchers ever learn? I doubt it.

14. Fair enough. I was unaware that most of the biggest selling games were on Nintendo consoles. Still it begs the question why are they posting a massive loss while MS and Sony are doing ok?

15. Probably because Nintendo are a console/games company whereas Sony and Microsoft have their fingers in many pies, so to speak.

16. And that's also a good reason why Sony or Microsoft could leave the console business. If one division isn't pulling their weight, its a common practice to cut them.

17. I thought Playstation WAS Sony's profit center. Their consumer electronics brand has been circling the drain for a decade.

18. I heard the gaming section was doing well for them too.

19. The gaming section has. Just look at how popular the PS1 and PS2 were back in the day. That said, although the PS3 started off bad for then, it is doing just as good itself now.

20. They probably are holding off again, not wanting to pull the plug on PS3 already. I don't see them dropping the gaming market.