Windows 10

Discussion in 'Technology' started by cmdrmonkey, Sep 30, 2014.

1. Think it'll be enough? Win 10 feels extremely similar to 8.1.

2. Hmmm. Your last word in your last post was 8.1 and it just so happens that it was your 81st post. Is that odd? Am I odd? I don't know any more.

3. So what about the HoloLens stuff? Real? Fake?

4. Release date is July 29th. If you're running win7 or win8, you'll get a win10 notification in your system tray to "reserve" it. aka, claim your free win10 upgrade.

5. My excitement level is like at a 4. It might go up if I ever learn anything about it. I haven't seen any mention of it anywhere.

6. it's like I said. it's literally a service pack for 8.1

there was even evidence early in its development that it was intended as a service pack update. I've been using the dev preview since its release and i can honestly say the biggest change for me is an on/off bluetooth toggle in the settings now.

the modern apps open in desktop now, but that's only useful if you used them to begin with. start menu opens in desktop but that's only useful if you used it to begin with. project spartan Web browser may be useful, assuming you're willing to move away from your current browser.

media center is going away.

day to day usage is not much different from 8.1

7. Woke up to Windows 10 this morning. Lets see if it changes my life.

8. Any changes in life yet?

9. Still haven't been offered the update yet, its a staggered roll out so I expect to be the last of the people who 'registered'.

Just want it so I can get on with testing applications etc.

10. I wouldn't mind a free Windows 10... but I can get by with just the demo. I've reinstalled the W8.1 demo a few times now and gotten a fresh 90 days each time. Enterprise edition fo' frizzle!!

11. I was on the wait list but I tried the manual download. I didn't think it would work but it did. The upgrade took longer than expected and oddly I had to hard-reboot my machine in the morning because there was no monitor input.

Here is the download tool.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

12. The power button is on the left side now. Life = Changed

13. I didn't know that download existed, wasted my whole day waiting for one of my test PCs to get the update. Even googled how to get it without waiting..

Cock.

14. I think it came into existence at 12:00 AM so search engines probably didn't have it listed yet. Finding it was pretty random on my part.

15. I download it now.

16. 5GB+ on your connection Chi, you should have it before November.

17. I install now

18. Guess I need to back up everything if I want this? Might fix my internet problem as still port forwarding it.

19. Like many people I'm having serious problems getting this to activate, the servers are just being hammered.

Edit: got there in the end.

20. I ran the install earlier and left the house. something wonky happened as my display driver died and it was stuck on 1920x1080. gonna see if I can fix it when I get home. if not, clean install time!