Windows 10

Discussion in 'Technology' started by cmdrmonkey, Sep 30, 2014.

1. @supersonic

It's much better than 8/8.1, but only a marginal improvement over 7.

2. The boot-up speed increase is probably the only really good reason to upgrade from 7. The return of the start button and removal of the annoying hidden side bar is the reason to upgrade from 8.

3. Got it installed on the USB stick. Seems a bit faster than W8.1 but that could just be mind trickery.

Do you guys install programs as Apps or use old school installers?
    Use Edge browser or Firefox/Chrome it ASAP?

4. Installers. Don't see any point to the mobile apps unless you're on a tablet.

5. Had a problem with a Dell laptop.

Installed Windows 10 from Windows 7 and once the video driver installed the screen wouldn't display anything at all but would work on an external monitor.

BIOS upgrade was needed to fix.

6. So what happens after the one year free upgrade period? If we download the media are we free to install it as many times as we want on top of a 7 or 8 license or will we eventually need to purchase a key for new installs?

7. I bet you have one year to install over so that your key is converted.

If you have a converted key, you can always install w10.

The sole media has nothing to do here.

8. Are you saying there is a way to convert a Win 7 and 8 key to Win 10?

9. If you upgraded it is already a Win 10 key. I'm looking into this option for a new PC as Win7/8 pro OEM is around $80 cheaper than win 10 pro here. I'd love a nice USB Win 10 install but not for $80 more...

10. Sure, when you upgrade, the key is converted into a win 10 key.

Run this script from the os shell of your win7/8

https://gist.github.com/eyecatchup/d577a2628666a0ad1375

After you upgrade, run the script again to see how your key was changed into a completely different win 10 key.

Write down the new key. You can use it always to perform a clean install of win 10.

11. First major update for Windows 10 launches.. I'll just paste the only part I know people care about

Here's a link to get the iso again:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

12. Can't believe they haven't thought about it in the first place.

13. Ran this today on an existing Windows 10 system and it took a good while to update, and that's a system with a 4 core 3.0Ghz i5 (before turbo).

I have a suite of new training room PCs to get setup next week, glad I hadn't done them before now otherwise I'd have to do this update on all of them after having spent a while installing the old build. Downloaded the new ISO and ready to go next week.

It seems more involved than a service pack, it felt like it was installing the whole OS again. Luckily with an accounts project going on I hadn't had time to upgrade our 8.1 or 7 systems to 10 yet otherwise I'd have to work on them all again! Have to look into how WSUS deals with this big updates, it could push service packs in old versions of windows but if a user hits this and had to wait a while they aren't gonna be happy. At least a service pack install could happen in the background for the most part.

14. Say what you want about 8 but it was probably the easiest Windows install ever. I was a little surprised by how long 10 took.

15. I got the version 1511 update this morning. Took about 20 minutes and 4 reboots. WTF?

16. Mine took less than 2 minutes and one reboot......

17. MS had an update that forces Windows to use 1024 bit Diffie-Hellman keys. That's causing me all kinds of grief on appliances using older Tomcat servers that only go to 768 bit.