Windows 8

Discussion in 'Technology' started by bfun, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Its pretty damn horrible to get around.

This may sound silly but I still can't work out how to close apps that run on Metro. You can alt+tab or hit start but this just suspends them so you end up with loads of crap running. You can kill them if you go into desktop and use task manager but there is no close button on any of them and Alt+F4 doesn't work.

I think they want you to keep things running in a suspended mode. This can be a pain if you want to use alt+tab as you end up with tons of shit to go through if you don't kill the processes off in task manager. Maybe they don't expect most of the sheep to use alt+tab?

2. Not being able to easily close things will make it worthless as a gaming OS. It will make it pretty worthless as an OS for power users in general.

Just when I thought MS was finally getting it with W7 and WP7, they go ahead and make this bloated disaster. This is going to flop hard just like Vista.

3. I like it! Though I'm not one to bash stuff before I try it, that is not to say that I'd find some weird quirks with it later on. I'd load it on my athlon 64 system, but I need to an el cheapo pci express video card. Actually, I might just load it on my alienware laptop.

4. Why not just create a VM? It comes in iso form so it will be easy to install.

Actually the longest part of getting this running today was the software that put the iso on my usb stick so that I could install from it.

5. I plan on using it on a regular basis so I can get a real feel for it. That's pretty much how I did the Windows 7 prereleases. Truthfully, I'd put it on my main machine, but since att uverse threw a data cap per month, I'd rather not redownload my steam games (I dont have the extra space to back them up to).

6. Ah you will be needing a virus scanner then. I have just installed M$ security essentials. I told the downloader I was using Vista/7 and it seems to be OK. I reasoned that of the virus scanners M$'s own was the most likely to work.

7. Ah yes, good advice.. didn't think of that. I'll post back in a few hours after I have time to get things set up.

8. well that process was fast. used the windows 7 usb tool to make a bootable windows 8 usb drive. that took 5 minutes. windows 8 install took 10 minutes and i was done.

I did a quick test to see how quick the boot up was from a prior shut down. took about 10-11sec on this laptop.

While I was typing this, I just realized my adjust brightness setting from the power options are not working... I may need to install my alienware drivers.

For the most part, metro ui is supposed to be lightweight. Keyword, supposed to be.. as well as the apps. I think MS is trying to blur the lines of a mobile os and home/productivity os. But they're going to have a ton of complaints since people are going to have to relearn everything.

I did like the fact that you can open up a metro app to take a part of your screen. Could be useful for rss feeds and what not.

[​IMG]

metro ui doesnt feel right with a mouse at all though.

9. This OS makes me think I should buy a bunch of Win7 licences before the price becomes prohibitive.

10. It really looks like a total piece of shit, doesn't it?

This is just like Win Me where they took a good OS (Win 98 then, Win 7 in this case) and took a big steaming shit all over it.

And this is all going to look very silly in retrospect when this whole tablet fad thing blows over.

11. a HUGE wasye of development dollars... but I'm not as bullish on tablets as you... I just don't think Win8 has a place in the desktop field

12. Remember this is still an early build. It's not even a beta.

13. And it looks like dog shit on a very fundamental level. The whole idea behind it is terrible.

14. I'm saying that MS may make the start menu an actual start menu and not pull up the metro ui. You can already do a registry hack to do this. That's pretty much what the only complaint is.

15. but than why upgrade?? it's just stupid... but we'll see. still stupid.

16. That's the thing. It's your choice to upgrade. There's still plenty of people sitting on Windows XP/Vista and not on Windows 7. If you don't like Metro UI, then don't upgrade. I'm pretty much flying around it right now as it's just something to get used to. As a matter of fact, I can literally just sit in the Metro UI all day and not need to go into old school desktop if I'm just web browsing and just use my laptop like a smartphone/tablet.

Only problem is is that only Internet Explorer is the supported browser for Metro UI right now. Hopefully, once MS opens up the store, google will make a chrome version.

17. Just saw this today...the tablet version of Windows 8 will not support plug-ins, which means it also won't be supporting Flash.

18. For some odd reason, win8 isn't liking punbb or something. It refuses to unbold topics that I've already read. Doesn't matter what browser I use.

19. Hmmmm Beta?

20. It's very strange. Doesn't seem like an issue that would fall to the OS, but chrome and internet explorer have this issue. It works as it should on phpbb forums.