Windows 8

Discussion in 'Technology' started by bfun, Sep 12, 2011.

1. I have given up caring about the Windows 8 install now and will probably blow it away and put Windows 7 back on the box. I just don't find myself wanting to use Metro and when someone came down earlier asking if I had a spare computer set up they could use for a minute I took one look at it and turned them away saying I did but it was too horrible to bother with.

2. And today my punbb issues are gone.. I don't get it.

3. I like how it's so bad, you can't even be bothered with it. This is definitely looking like another Me or Vista style dud.

The funny thing is, the idiotic press, who seem completely oblivious to the existence of Windows 7 because they're constantly up Apple's ass, seem to think 8 is fantastic.

4. I'm actually looking for to the beta when it launches as I'll use that on my main system. Windows 8 has native multi-monitor support

5. You listen to Justin Bieber. You would like Windows 8.

6. You watch charles bronson movies. You would be heartless.

7. The funny thing, my vista install boots up almost instantly. on a C2D, and virtually untweeked (it's my mom's machine, I optimize it when I'm there sometimes...) I've not clocked it, and it's no 8 secods. but from power up to login screen is less than 20, to log in until it's done loading drivers is probably another 30, but I can use it in well under a minute. that's rather impressive for a failure I think.

8. You can't deny that punks are the root cause of all of society's problems, and that the best way to deal with them is with a very large gun.

9. One big plus for Windows 8, apparently laptops with the 910/915 chipset (GMA900) will now be able to run Aero. Intel refused to release a WDDM driver for that chipset, and apparently MS has taken matters into their own hands and Aero is working on it in the developer build with the default driver.

Good news because I know tons of people with centrino laptops from 2005 and 2006 who have this chipset who got fucked over by Intel. In fact, I would say this is probably one of the most common chipsets out in the real world, and the fact that it didn't support Aero in Vista and 7 was a big part of what kept people from upgrading. So kudos to Microsoft on that at least.

10. I played around with the developer preview on one of my spare laptops. Unless there are big changes between now and release, I think I'll be skipping this one.

The Metro UI in the start menu might be good with a touchscreen, but with a keyboard and mouse, it's a total mess. It's needlessly big and the green background is hideously ugly. The easiest way to navigate it seems to be with arrow keys. Seriously, WTF, are we back in DOS or something? Basic features that have become standard in Windows are strangely missing. There's no way to put a shortcut to computer on the desktop, at least not in the traditional sense. You can drag and drop from windows explorer, but the options you typically get with computer are missing. I couldn't figure out how to actually close things. It just leaves stuff running, so I guess you're going to need a fuckload of RAM. I hate how much work there is to get to the traditional control panel, which is something I use all the time. You have to go to settings in the metro UI, scroll down to the very bottom and then click something like "additional settings." Very clunky. Maybe Joe Sixpack who just uses Internet Explorer to check his email will be okay with the changes, but power users will find Windows 8 to be a frustrating nightmare.

The only postive thing I can say is that I got to see Aero run on a GMA 900. Maybe someone can find a way to extract the driver from 8 and make it work on 7. The rest of 8 is a colossal turd. This is a bigger fuckup than Vista. It's more like Windows Me.

It seems like the easiest way to fix 8 would be to give people a choice. Maybe when they first install the OS, ask them if they're running it on a tablet or a desktop/laptop, and only enable metro if it's a tablet, giving desktop and laptop users the traditional start menu instead.

11. Metro apps are very lightweight. They're supposed to use alot less ram than traditional apps and close by themselves when needed (like on android os). I highly doubt ram will be an issue since I typically run a ton of apps and don't bother closing stuff while I play games on PC.

12. I don't like it on Android either. There's a reason Advanced Task Killer is one of the most popular apps.

I've never seen any OS run well with a bunch of shit taking up RAM and thrashing the CPU in the background.

I agree with Grim. This OS is so horrible it's basically unusable. How they went from Windows 7, arguably the best OS ever, to this shitchunk is beyond me. WTF were they thinking?

13. Unrelated to Windows 8 --------> Advanced Task Killer should only be used if you're using android 2.1 or below. If you're using it on 2.2 or higher, it's not doing you any good and is probably hurting you.

I'll stand by my statement. The way metro apps are handled, I see no issue with it at all.

14. I have yet to use Win8 but agree with Khaid here, there's no need to be as anal about closing every single app when you're not using it in this day and age. With the OS intelligently managing these aps and memory usage there is even less of a need.

I used to be one of those people who couldn't move on from the past and had to have 'My Computer' on their desktop and things like that, but I decided to try a change. Even with the optimal positioning of the 'show desktop' button in Win7, instinctively going to the desktop to find everything just doesn't make sense these days. Sure, you can quickly minimise everything with 'show desktop', but why do you really need to? And what about when you return to the tasks you were doing. It's jus faster to press the windows button and click computer. Just as it is to do the same and type or click any app you would like to run.

Anyhow clearly the metro UI implementation with kb + m sounds sucky, I'm sure things will have to change in that area.

15. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/iso

Consumer preview is available, and that page is getting hammered as of now.

16. How long is this build live for? Might look at it Saturday as I am at work doing a domain controller migration anyway.

17. I can't find any info on that. I'm about to get ready to install it. I'll let you know if it says during install process.

18. Installed and I still don't see any info on it.

19. downloading @ about 360K times 8 I'd say that's pretty good for a 3mb line.

20. finally installed the thing, and though I still hate it (and why can't I keep more than one tab open in IE9?? why must I always be in fullscreen??) I find navigating easier than I'd thought it would be. Still doubt I'll replace Win7 with it. Hadn't tried it on my notbook yet, but this has an intel 945 integrated gfx controller… and the driver didn't come with it, I had to use the Win7 driver. I actually thought that was kind of strange. Even Win95 had a rudimentary Intel driver! This one put me into 1024x768 :(.