World Methane Bomb

Discussion in 'Everything Else' started by bfun, Jul 29, 2016.

1. I guess there are a number of people that believe the earth will suffer a catastrophic life form failure within then next 30 to 100 years. Some suggest that if even 2% of the methane from the arctic escapes into the atmosphere life will begin to fail. Others say the release process has already started and it's way too late to stop it. That our fight with global warming should have started 30 years ago and anything we do now is pointless. The permafrost in the arctic is like a cork that disintegrating on top of a methane bubble that will kill the world. What do you think? Is it too late?

2. The problem with the Arctic doomsday scenario, from articles that I've seen, is that the methane they're referring to is actually hundreds of meters below the ocean floor…so even if the Arctic ocean is warming, how long would it be before that warming effected the methane deposits? It doesn't sound like a short term proposition. Plus, even if the methane was destabilized, there's a question of how much of it would actually be able to travel through hundreds of meters of earth + make it out of the water into the air without being trapped or broken down by natural processes.

3. Oh thank god. I wasn't ready for Armageddon.