Worst PC sales drop in history

Discussion in 'Technology' started by bfun, Apr 10, 2013.

1. they also use ipads at some att corporate stores now to handle accounts. Target uses an ipad to pull up competitors websites to verify price matches.

2. http://www.apple.com/ipad/business/it-center/

3. Looks like a good start.

4. Here's an example...a gigantic biotech company that has around 14,000 iPads in use by employees, and about 3,000 of those are laptop replacements for employees that don't really need a laptop anymore (they mention the field sales force, diagnostics group, and shop floor technicians.) So that represents about a 20% drop of potential new laptop sales to that particular company...

http://www.cio.com/article/712185/Lessons_from_a_Big_iPad_Enterprise_Adopter?page=1&taxonomyId=600013

5. I'm in the tablet/phone category... I've practically had the same PC for over 3 years now: Win7, Core2Duo, 4GB, Radeon 5750, and just upgraded (a few months ago) to a 120GB Intel SSD for my OS & programs. It's still more than I need, as all my gaming needs are filled by my PS3, Galaxy Note 2, and iPad.

Consoles have a problem too, along with PCs. Honestly, with the way phones/tablets have advanced, and with these cheap/free iOS/Android games popping up, it'll take a lot to impress me with the newer generation of gaming consoles. If anything, technology has gotten people back out of the house even more. It used to be where we'd stay huddled up in our rooms for hours on end, playing games online & surfing online, but now people are socializing in public places, like sports bars, keeping their iPads handy for a facebook chat or quick-fix game.

6. For me, mobile devices are awful for games that are more complicated than match 3 or tappy casual games

7. Same here, they cater to different games, just like how RTS has never taken off on consoles. They're definitely catching up in hardware, in a year or two tablets will have graphics hardware equivalent to ultrabooks of today. A year or so after that - low end gaming laptops of today. This may allow them to play the exact same type of games as PC's and consoles, but the native controls will still be an issue.

8. Agreed, but what stops them from having console buttons and analogues like the Wii-U touchscreen controller has in the future? They could be a force to be reckoned with then.

9. Re: Re: Worst PC sales drop in history

Well, comfort for one...

Size for another. Battery for a third.

10. There's already a variety of game controller attachments for mobile phones, and Bluetooth wireless controllers are the optimum solution that already exists for larger sized tablets like the iPad. However, there aren't really any "killer" devices in either category yet in terms of quality/performance/price, and there isn't widespread support for them by developers either.

11. Controller accessory compatibility for a fourth.

12. Controllers will not be utilised by developers until the manufactures start shipping them with the tablets. Why spend loads of money developing a game that needs a controller when no one has them? Possibly apple making one might drive a few deb's to try it but they may still see it as a risk ala kinect and move.

Wireless video also helps as you will want it on your TV but plugging it in all the time would be a pain. That is more down to TV makers getting wireless video as standard or the tablet makers coming out with official HDMI wireless recievers for their tablets.

13. Spot on.

The problem with windows 8 is people think that the UI is apart of how you use it.. When people come to my house and see that I never use it they get shocked. Windows 7 was perfect they should have done some research before going full on with windows 8. Their concept of this new UI is pointless and confusing to customers.

Most businesses will not update their c2duo rigs for a very long time. There is still ample support for LGA 775 by intel in the form of mother boards and replacement chips. Even intel know they have made a beastly processor that is still good now. On my i7 now there during normal use it never goes above 5 percent for any normal task that a person would do on a PC. Even with gaming it rarely exceeds 30% and thats only RTS games..

14. The Core 2 was an earth shattering CPU. Definitely the biggest leap forward in consumer CPU technology ever. Going from a Pentium 4 to a Core 2 was like going from a horse and buggy to a starship with warp drive. It's insane that it's still relevant 7 years later. It sent AMD back to the drawing board, and made them largely irrelevant in the CPU market. It wasn't until the Phenom II that they had an answer for the Core 2, and that was three years later. The Core 2 Duo E6600 was the best processor I've ever owned. Nothing even comes close.