Your favourite RPG?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Phisix, Jan 25, 2011.

1. We all love RPG's, some more than others, but what is your favourite or favourites? Whether it be turn based, real time or games such as Zelda.

2. Mystic Quest for the Gameboy.

Nothing beats the moment when you're told "Willy is dead"

On a more serious note, recent ones I've liked are dragon quest 8 for the PS2, 3D Dot Game Heroes, and that Shin Megami Tensai game for the NDS.

3. Dragon Quest VIII is an epic game, and the main character looking like Goku and being able to look like a Super Saiyan at 100% charge puts the cherry on top for me on this epic game.

I hear Dragon Quest IX is in the same gameplay mold. Does anyone know if the story is any good?

4. Kotor. One of my favorite games of all time.

5. Baldur's Gate 2 of course.

Mass Effect 1 might be in second place. Some of the old gold box games were great back in the day. Curse of the Azure Bonds was really good.

[​IMG]

6. I got Azure Bonds back in the day (admittedly at a much later date than release). I've never got around to playing it. Hmmm, might be a little late in the day to try it now.

7. What the hell is Azure Bonds?

8. D+D RPG game. Think it was released in the early 90s. I picked it up in the mid-90s for the Amiga at some weird fleapit market.

9. D&D? Oh monsly... Monsly, monsly, monsly...

10. Oh it would be absolutely painful to play now. It wouldn't even work unless you could emulate a 25MHz processor. The game play speed was based on the processor speed. I think I tried it on a Pentium once and it was a total blur.

11. Oblivion owns all rpgs into the ground. I don't think there's anything I disklike about that game. The music, the scenery, the immersion, the "go anywhere, do anything" playstyle, the way characters are totally custom tailored to your own playing style.

Lucien Lachance: Dear brother, I do not spread rumours... I create them!
    lol

12. My favourite RPG is a very tough question for me as I have many. I think it would be better for me if I just post a few of my top favourites:

- Final Fantasy VII
    - Final Fantasy VIII
    - Grandia
    - Skies of Arcadia
    - Shadow Hearts
    - Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Those are some of my top loved RPGS. The best RPG game story is between Grandia, Final Fantasy VII and Skies of Arcadia, and everyone knows it.

13. I still don't understand why people list Skies as one of the best RPG's of all time. It had a good enough story but the battle system was stupidly limited. A typical battle in skies was to focus and then use a special move such as cutlass fury, rinse, repeat. It probably wouldn't have been so bad if they had implemented more special moves but with main characters like Vyse only have 5, playing that game for 60 hours meant getting very bored of seeing the same moves. It also didn't help that the Magic was mostly pointless other than for healing and they all had completely stupid names.

The ship battles while adding a bit of variety also followed the same process and so got boring quickly too.

I also didn't like the way the '4th' character became a bit of a floating one, meaning that they would change quite regularly. This meant that if you put a load of 'whatever item is was you needed to get new specials moves' into one of them such as Drachma at the start you would have wasted them when they disappear for the next 10 hours. I wish the game had put a big 'temporary' above his head when I first played it so that I didn't waste the things. On my next play through I saved all of said items for Vyse, Aika and Fina.

It was a decent enough game but it had flaws and the battle system was pretty boring.

14. Not all battle systems are great, but the story and extras are. Skies had a great story, a unique one for that time too. It had great characters, a giant world map and lots of side quests. The moon crystal systems for magic was okay, and yes I agree with you about the 5 special moves each for the characters, but if you never found Moonberrys to learn them then you would have to have waited a while to see all of the special moves anyway. being able to find and explore new lands in the game that not even half of the NPCs in the game had never seen was a great feeling.

Indeed, that was rather annoying, especially on the first play-through. But at the end of the game before you go after Ramirez you get to choose one of the three characters to join you as a 4th, so even if you put effort in to one of those characters, you could at least get them back by then. I always took Gilder myself. *Dance for me*

15. Its OK having a good story but in a game like skies where battles take up a good half of the time you spend in the game then it has to be enjoyable. It wasn't enough to force a pretty dull battle system on us, they then decided it would be a good idea to initiate a random battle every time you walked 4 paces.

This game has flaws which are too big to make it one of the greatest of all time, its decent, it isn't fantastic.

16. Well the short random battle problem was sorted in Skies of Arcadia: Legends, but most RPG's have plenty of random battles. Maybe some people hate them more than others. I play RPG's mostly for the story's, some battle systems don't really bother me as long as they give me a bit of fun. I think we can all agree that the Grandia series battle system is the best though. The ATB bar is awesome.

17. An RPG has to balance the story with the battle system for me. If a game is 60 hours long and we assume that half is tied to each then I don't want to bore myself for 30 hours with a bad battle system. You have to get both sides of the coin right to impress me and my opinion matters most because I am awesome.

18. True, but battle systems have never bothered me. Look at Shadow hearts battle system, that was quite boring, but the monster transformations made it a bit more fun.

What game do you think has a great story and great battle system down then? Surely Granida?

19. I'm still not sure where I stand on shadow hearts, that was an odd game.

Its really hard to say what battle systems I have really liked, I think that the guys over at Squaresoft/Enix/Square Enix usually get it right with the exception of FFXIII. Of recent games I have played Vesperia was OK, Star Ocean 4 was pretty good and I am not sure where I stand on Eternal Sonata. The light and dark system was an interesting concept but I think it was limited by them only letting you assign 2 moves to each per character.

All I know for sure is that Skies ended up being very boring when it came to battles.

20. I saw Eternal Sonata's battle system like a retarded version of the tales battle system. Seeing as they are both from the same developer you can see why they are both the same-ish type real time system. Legend of Dragoons battle system was quite retarded too, but the Dragoon powers made up for it.