apple ∞ loop

Discussion in 'Technology' started by alterego, Jan 27, 2011.

1. The slowdowns are not all linked to this battery degradation issue though. There's lots of variables to it. Such as slowdowns happening after an ios update. Lots of people fix this by just factory resetting. This is an android issue too.

Oh android manufacturers are guilty of much worst (LG not acknowledging their bootloop issues), but that's another conversation.

2. When I poop on the genius desk, I'm going to give them a stern look where I don't blink or break eye contact. That will express my displeasure with them slowing down phones.

• like like x 1
  3. How does LG keep having the same issue with every new phone? That's the crazy part. Maybe the V30 and V20 were fine. I'm not sure.

4. I ate Taco Bell for dinner last. I even had the enchirito. Still alive.

5. They brought back the enchirito? Best tasting thing to ever give me lava butt.

6. i don't know whats going on in here but it literally made me post this.

[​IMG]

7. I'm not fully buying into Apples explanation. It might make sense for iPhone6/6s, but no way it holds water on iPhone7 slowdowns that were reported. If it's true there should be a toggle or an allowance to downgrade back the final release of the previous iOS.

On the flip side, Apple's solution could simply be to stop supporting older devices faster like most of their competitors. I've also enjoyed how long they carry old phones for. It's one of the reasons the resale value is so high, imo.

8. Planned obsolescence to sell you a new phone is the real explanation.

9. I'm wondering if this will affect resale value. Now people will wonder if used phones are gimped.

10. They'd better do something about this, or it's going to be Chipotle instead of Taco Bell.

11. It's like you don't even care about Taco Johns.

12. How does the throttling work? Do they throttle all phone of a specific model or is it based on specific battery performance?

I'm curious to see if replacing a battery reverses the throttling. Its so cheap now to do an iPhone battery swap, it may be worth the cost if it regains some CPU performance.

13. My guess would be that anything older than an 8 is being throttled.

14. I'm on a 6S and this last major iOS update has ruined the phone. Its slower, the battery needs to be charged constantly. Its dogshit software. However, its my primary phone and I'm not sure I'd want to risk opening it and fuck up the phone.

I do have a 5S in my desk drawer. That one I wouldn't care about opening myself and swapping the battery. This might be a fun experiment. I'll run a CPU benchmark, swap the battery, and see the difference. I'd be willing to burn $20 on a battery to see what happens. However, I'd rather not if it has already been confirmed that they don't care about the battery and are just throttling all older phones.

15. #337 cmdrmonkey, Dec 24, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    iOS 11 really is a pile of shit. The quality of their software has gone down the shitter since Jobs croaked.

I’d switch to Android, but everyone I know uses iOS. I’d be cut off from iMessage, iCloud photo sharing, FaceTime, etc.

16. From what I've read, replacing the battery will speed the phone up but I'm not sure how the phone would know if the battery is any good. You can probably find a store that will do it for about $80.

17. Did you upgrade all the apps? I thought Apple bricked my 6S with the last update. But the battery issue went away after upgrading the apps themselves. Overall it's still a little buggy but usable, and worth it to me for the headphone jack.

https://neopvc.com/threads/iphone-8-iphone-x-and-ios-11.1465/#post-52632

https://neopvc.com/threads/iphone-8-iphone-x-and-ios-11.1465/#post-52641

Dude.. they replaced the 5/5s batteries for free... it was a known defect. But I think the program is over now.

18. At the risk of sounding like the resident alterego...My brother hasn't updated his 6S and it shut off at 20% battery life. Seems like there could be some truth to Apple's actions.