apple = poop

Discussion in 'monkeyCage' started by Grim, Dec 21, 2017.

1. My guess would be that anything older than an 8 is being throttled.

2. I'm on a 6S and this last major iOS update has ruined the phone. Its slower, the battery needs to be charged constantly. Its dogshit software. However, its my primary phone and I'm not sure I'd want to risk opening it and fuck up the phone.

I do have a 5S in my desk drawer. That one I wouldn't care about opening myself and swapping the battery. This might be a fun experiment. I'll run a CPU benchmark, swap the battery, and see the difference. I'd be willing to burn $20 on a battery to see what happens. However, I'd rather not if it has already been confirmed that they don't care about the battery and are just throttling all older phones.

3. iOS 11 really is a pile of shit. The quality of their software has gone down the shitter since Jobs croaked.

I’d switch to Android, but everyone I know uses iOS. I’d be cut off from iMessage, iCloud photo sharing, FaceTime, etc.

4. From what I've read, replacing the battery will speed the phone up but I'm not sure how the phone would know if the battery is any good. You can probably find a store that will do it for about $80.

5. Did you upgrade all the apps? I thought Apple bricked my 6S with the last update. But the battery issue went away after upgrading the apps themselves. Overall it's still a little buggy but usable, and worth it to me for the headphone jack.

https://neopvc.com/threads/iphone-8-iphone-x-and-ios-11.1465/#post-52632

https://neopvc.com/threads/iphone-8-iphone-x-and-ios-11.1465/#post-52641

Dude.. they replaced the 5/5s batteries for free... it was a known defect. But I think the program is over now.

6. At the risk of sounding like the resident alterego...My brother hasn't updated his 6S and it shut off at 20% battery life. Seems like there could be some truth to Apple's actions.

7. My 5S never showed the battery issues that warranted the free battery replacements. In fact, I checked the internal reporting on the batteries of both phones, and the 5S is showing that its fully charges to 89% of the original battery capacity, which isn't bad considering its age. However, my 6S is at 79% of its original full capacity, and that figure is probably getting worse because I am constantly having to charge the phone. Maybe I should try a battery swap on my 6S. The installation looks easier on the newer models.

Also, completely agree on the headphone jack being important. Its one of the reasons I haven't upgraded.

8. IT IS! SCORE!

Now we can to do the experiment with a Apple-installed battery. I'll have to make an appointment later this week when I get back from Miami.

9. So Apple is facing 8 class action lawsuits for slowing down phones. Also the X is selling poorly relative to projections.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...e-x-shipment-forecasts-citing-lukewarm-demand

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...d-idUSKBN1EK0MH?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews

http://fortune.com/2017/12/26/apple-lawsuit-old-iphones/

Is this really that surprising? It's a very, very expensive phone. I don't think face id and a marginally better screen are enough to get most people to drop $1150 + tax on a phone. Even split up into monthly Next payments, I think many have sticker shock. You could buy a high-end laptop or desktop or a 70 inch 4K TV for the same price as an iPhone X. And those things wouldn't be obsolete and ready for the trash heap in 2 years.

10. You fell prey to one of the classic blunders. This happens every year around this time.

1. Apple conspires with wall street analysts to cuts expectations too low.
    2. Dumb asses (like me) short AAPL
    3. AAPL blows away the new lesser expectations with relative ease.
    4. Stock rallies since they beat fake expectations.
    5. Short squeeze crushes anybody that fell for the scam.

That said, I might dabble with a cheap put option for the January earnings report. Anecdotally, I see a lot of people with iPhone8 but haven't run into anyone with iPhoneX.

11. Same! I've only seen one iPhone X in person, and it was a display at Best Buy when I was Black Friday shopping.

I usually upgrade every two years, but this year I had no desire. The iPhone X doesn't seem worth the price and I am afraid to lose my home button. iPhone 8 doesn't seem all that much like an upgrade over my 6S, plus I would lose my headphone jack. I may try to hold out until next round.

12. look at you guys. holding on to headphone jacks and home buttons

13. Dude Bluetooth is gayer than you

14. at least I know I will comfortably die of brain cancer before ww3

15. Apple is offering $29 battery replacements and issued an apology on their website. They must know they’re in deep shit for this.

16. I made an appointment at an Apple store next Saturday for the battery replacement. I am currently downloading Geekbench so I can run a benchmark of the CPU performance before and after the new battery to see if it alters the way iOS throttles the phone.

17. Remember to eat a large meal at Taco Bell before you go. As your stomach gurgles, give them menacing looks. If they don't give you your battery for $29, you know what needs to be done.